EMF between an axis and the surface of long wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electromagnetic force (emf) between the axis and surface of a long current-carrying wire. There are two potential causes for this emf: the motion of electrons in the wire and the presence of surface charges. The direction of the magnetic field at a point in the wire is discussed, as well as its effect on the electrons. The use of the drift velocity to calculate the emf is debated, with one person suggesting it is appropriate and the other questioning its validity. Eventually, the correct result for the emf is determined to be ##Emf = \frac { \mu I (Vd) } {4\pi} ##.
PumpkinCougar95
New user has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template
A friend mine of gave me a problem :

Calculate the Emf b/w the axis and surface of a long current carrying wire of radius ##r## and current density ##J##.

I am not able to understand why there would be a potential difference between the axis and surface but i think that either of these could happen:

1) Due to the motion of electrons in the wire and the magnetic field an emf is created because of motional emf

using this I get : ## B =\frac {\mu i Vd }{4 \pi} ## Vd is the drift velocity

But I guess this should be wrong as electrons aren't really moving with ## Vd ##

2) Maybe there are some surface charges on the wire?(because of which a potential diff. will be created without any field inside )

I don't know the reason for this but in many problems, i have seen surface charges on wires so I thought that there may be some in this case too.

I am Really confused and don't even know whether the problem is correct or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a point p in the wire at a distance r from the axis. Is there a magnetic field B at point p? If so, can you describe the direction of the B field at p?

Yes , there is, but what does that have to do with anything ?
in my case 1) I considered that only to find the emf. You have something else in mind?

PumpkinCougar95 said:
Yes , there is, but what does that have to do with anything ?
in my case 1) I considered that only to find the emf. You have something else in mind?
What effect would the B field have on the electrons moving in the wire?

The B field would try to push the electrons inwards , but since they are moving straight in a wire , an opposite E field must exist. Thereby creating a potential difference.

BUT in order to calculate the emf, we would need the velocity of the electrons. I don't think it would be okay to use the drift velocity as the electrons aren't really moving with that velocity. Am I wrong ?

PumpkinCougar95 said:
1) Due to the motion of electrons in the wire and the magnetic field an emf is created because of motional emf

using this I get : B=μiVd4πB=μiVd4π B =\frac {\mu i Vd }{4 \pi} Vd is the drift velocity

Besides I already did the calculation for the case you are referring to. ^^

PumpkinCougar95 said:
The B field would try to push the electrons inwards , but since they are moving straight in a wire , an opposite E field must exist. Thereby creating a potential difference.
Yes. I think that's the idea.

BUT in order to calculate the emf, we would need the velocity of the electrons. I don't think it would be okay to use the drift velocity as the electrons aren't really moving with that velocity. Am I wrong ?
Yes, use the drift velocity. It represents the average velocity of the electrons, which should be what you need.

Besides I already did the calculation for the case you are referring to. ^^
What answer did you get for the potential difference?

I get ##Emf = \frac { \mu I (Vd) } {4\pi} ## . Sorry I think in my first post I mistakenly used the symbol B instead.

PumpkinCougar95 said:
I get ##Emf = \frac { \mu I (Vd) } {4\pi} ##
I don't agree with your result. Please show your work.

Edit: Actually I do get your result! I had written my answer in a different form (in terms of J and the number density of the carriers rather than in terms of I and the drift speed). Sorry for the confusion.:oops:

Last edited:

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for "electromotive force" and refers to the potential difference or voltage between two points caused by an electric field or magnetic field.

2. What is the significance of the axis in relation to EMF and a long wire?

The axis refers to the imaginary line that runs through the center of the wire. In the case of EMF between an axis and the surface of a long wire, it is used to measure the electric potential difference between the wire and the point on the axis.

3. How is EMF calculated between an axis and the surface of a long wire?

The EMF between an axis and the surface of a long wire can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the axis and the wire's surface.

4. What factors affect the EMF between an axis and the surface of a long wire?

The main factors that affect EMF in this scenario are the distance between the axis and the wire, the electric potential difference between the two points, and the strength of the electric field created by the wire. The direction and orientation of the wire in relation to the axis can also have an impact.

5. What are some real-world applications of EMF between an axis and the surface of a long wire?

One common application is in the measurement of voltage in electrical circuits. By using an axis as a reference point and measuring the EMF between it and the surface of a wire, engineers and scientists can determine the voltage at a specific point in the circuit. This is also used in the design and operation of electric motors and generators.