Electronic structure of the atoms

In summary, the Nist lines database shows the spectrum of an element, including the transition of electrons from the 2s2p orbitals to the 1s. There are 10 p orbitals listed, which should only contain six, but this is because the configuration is not from the six different 2p orbitals, but from the 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p, 6p, 7p etc to the 1s.
Sean Torrebadel
I'm a little confused about something very simple. From a chemistry perspective I am told about how many electrons fit into each type of orbital. For instance, 1s and 2s can only have two each, the 2p orbitals total 6. It is composed of the Px, Py, and Pz and only two can be in each set, while the exclusion principle applies.

When I look at the spectrum of He I in the Nist lines database

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html

where you enter He I and then 10 -100000 I get a series of wavelengths at the beginning of the data beginning with 584 Angstroms. This uninterupted series represents that transition of electrons from the 2s2p orbitals to the 1s. The problem that I am having is understanding why there are 10 p orbitals listed. Shouldn't there be only six.

To further complicate the problem I have an equation that reproduces this series mathematically, and it includes 5 more lines in the same sequence, which are not even classified by the Nist, but recorded there.

Am I to suppose that there are 15p? What is going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the Aufbau-priciple?

Okay, I think I get it now. The configuration is not from say the six different 2p orbitals which are essentially degenerate, but from the 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p, 6p, 7p etc to the 1s.

Would it be true to say that the 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p, and so forth are all quantum relative to one another. I mean are they suppose to be an integral amount of some energy, E, so that the 2p is 2E, the 3p is 3E, the 4p is 4E?

Are you sure? Look at the simple Rydberg type atom. Look at the transition of n=3 to 1 and compare that with n=2 to 1. Is one a multiple of the other?

Zz.

No, your right, the energies of the n=1, n=2, n=3, n=4, n=5, etc are all E/n^2. Where E is the ionization energy. Would it be true then that the 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p etc should follow suit? Thanks Zap

1. What is the electronic structure of an atom?

The electronic structure of an atom refers to the arrangement of electrons within an atom. This includes the number of electrons, their energy levels, and their distribution among the different orbitals.

2. How do electrons fill energy levels in an atom?

Electrons fill energy levels in an atom according to the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons will occupy the lowest energy level available before moving to higher energy levels.

3. What is the significance of valence electrons in the electronic structure of an atom?

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom. They are important because they determine the chemical and physical properties of an element, as well as its reactivity with other elements.

4. How are the electronic structures of different elements related?

The electronic structures of different elements are related by the periodic table. Elements in the same group have similar electronic structures, as they have the same number of valence electrons, while elements in the same period have the same number of energy levels.

5. Can the electronic structure of an atom change?

Yes, the electronic structure of an atom can change through various means such as gaining or losing electrons, or through chemical reactions. This can result in the formation of ions or the creation of new compounds.