1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic transitions for natrium atom

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    Hi! I am writting my labbraport on electronspektrum for natrium atom.
    Here is my electronic transitions but the teacher says that there are some transitions missing.....have no clue which ones they might be....can someone explain to me what is he talking about? which are the missing electronical transitions which are not marked on my scheme?

my scheme:

thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Well, what rules did you use to determine which transitions are allowed and which ones aren't?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    [tex]\Delta l=+1,-1[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta S=0[/tex]

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

OK, well, for starters, there are several states in your diagram which have no transitions at all. That implies that an electron in that state would be stuck there permanently - but hopefully that doesn't seem right to you. Start by looking at those.

For what it's worth, unless I miscounted (which is certainly a possibility), there are 29 transitions allowed by your rules that you haven't indicated in your diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook