Fraction of thermally excited atoms

Therefore the probability to be at T=300K is almost 1, which is the fraction of Ne atoms in the sample under those conditions.
VoteSaxon

Homework Statement

There is an electronic transition between the first energy state and the ground state of a neon atom, emitting a wavelength of 746nm. The question asks for the energy of the transition and an estimate of the fraction of atoms in a sample that is thermally excited at 300K.

Homework Equations

My guess:
E = hc/λ.
P(E) ∝ √E⋅e-E/kT

The Attempt at a Solution

So surely finding the energy is easy:
E = hc/λ = (6.63x10-34)(3x108)/(746x10-9) = 2.666x10-19 J ≈ 2.7x10-19 J

However, I have a feeling this is too simple and might be incorrect.

For the probability, I suppose you use the Boltzmann Distributuon:
P(E) ∝ √E⋅e-E/kT
∴P(E) ∝ 6.43x10-38

But this is probably just the probability of getting exactly the energy value above - what I really want (I think) is the probability of the energy being equal to or greater than the energy value calculated above, i.e. the probability of E ≥ 2.7x10-19 J

Can someone point me in the right direction, and tell me where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the sqrt(E) in your formula come from? The units don't match.
VoteSaxon said:
But this is probably just the probability of getting exactly the energy value above - what I really want (I think) is the probability of the energy being equal to or greater than the energy value calculated above
You just consider two states, there are no other energy values.

mfb said:
Where does the sqrt(E) in your formula come from? The units don't match.

It is proven in meticulous detail in my lecture notes, but let's just go with p(E) = Ae-E/kT as this is always correct - basically the √E was just part of the constant A.

mfb said:
You just consider two states, there are no other energy values.

Ahh, because Ne has 2 electron 'shells,' correct?
So the probability of being excited from ground state to first energy level P(E) ∝ e-2.7x10-19/(1.38x10-23)(300) ≈ 4.75x10-29
How do I involve the second shell now? Because I don't know the energy required to get excited up to there.

Thanks a lot for replying.

A constant cannot depend on energy, that is the purpose of a constant.
VoteSaxon said:
Ahh, because Ne has 2 electron 'shells,' correct?
Two states: ground state and excited state.
VoteSaxon said:
How do I involve the second shell now? Because I don't know the energy required to get excited up to there.
That's the value you calculated in the line before, with the energy you calculated in post 1.

For much larger temperatures you would have to take into account that P(0) would deviate from 1. Then you have to calculate a prefactor (which is the same for all states, it does not depend on energy), but this is not necessary here.

mfb said:
A constant cannot depend on energy, that is the purpose of a constant.
Two states: ground state and excited state.
That's the value you calculated in the line before, with the energy you calculated in post 1.

For much larger temperatures you would have to take into account that P(0) would deviate from 1. Then you have to calculate a prefactor (which is the same for all states, it does not depend on energy), but this is not necessary here.

Sorry, I'm being slow, but you say to just consider two energy states, and yet if I am trying to find the probability of Ne being excited at 300K, the probability of being in the ground state is not really useful, and I am back with only one energy value that I can plug in.

Thanks for your patience.

The probability to be in the ground state is extremely close to 1. The probability to be in the excited state is the 10-29 number you calculated.

1. What is the definition of "Fraction of thermally excited atoms"?

The fraction of thermally excited atoms refers to the proportion of atoms within a substance that have absorbed enough thermal energy to transition to a higher energy state. This fraction is often denoted as a percentage or decimal value.

2. How is the fraction of thermally excited atoms calculated?

The fraction of thermally excited atoms can be calculated by dividing the number of thermally excited atoms by the total number of atoms in the substance. This can be determined through various methods such as spectroscopy or thermodynamic measurements.

3. What factors affect the fraction of thermally excited atoms?

The fraction of thermally excited atoms can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the substance itself. Higher temperatures and pressures can lead to a higher fraction of thermally excited atoms, while different substances have varying energy levels and transition probabilities.

4. How does the fraction of thermally excited atoms relate to a substance's thermal conductivity?

The fraction of thermally excited atoms is a crucial factor in a substance's thermal conductivity. As atoms become thermally excited, they are able to transfer thermal energy more efficiently, leading to a higher thermal conductivity. Therefore, a higher fraction of thermally excited atoms typically indicates a higher thermal conductivity.

5. Can the fraction of thermally excited atoms be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the fraction of thermally excited atoms can be manipulated or controlled through changes in temperature, pressure, or other external factors. Additionally, certain substances may have a higher or lower fraction of thermally excited atoms depending on their properties, allowing for further control over thermal conductivity and other related properties.