1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics Kits for college students

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    I am a sophomore at college and I am double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Physics. I am very excited about building stuff and I am looking for affordable electronics kits that would be suitable for a college level and that could get me started on advanced electronics hands-on work and building. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

fss

If you're an EE student you should be able to assemble your own kit for what you want to build.

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    << post edited by berkeman >>

Here's a couple sites where I get parts:

http://www.sparkfun.com

http://www.jameco.com

These sites do have kits and also individual parts.

Personally, I'm more of a fix it guy than a creator. So I usually go to a thrift store and buy old electronics then try to fix them.

By the way, when you say "advanced electronics," what are you referring to?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  5. Jul 13, 2011 #4
    Thanks for your reply, DrummingAtom. By "advanced electronics", I am referring to any sort of roughly college/adult level electronics kits/assemblies (i.e. I am not interested in kits for kids/beginners, for e.g.).

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not necessarily. Depending on his background, he may not have had much practical hands-on experience yet.

Good for you. Building kits first, and then your own circuit ideas later, is a great way to gain better insight into how practical circuits work.

You can start with a couple basic kits for things that interest you (it's nice when the kit is actually useful when you are done with it), and then branch out into PIC microcontroller boards and building projects with them. Have fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook