Electrons from Internal Conversion

In summary: The radius of the nucleus that undergo internal conversion is smaller for excited states (e.g. L-shell i.e. 2s, 2p) than for the ground state (K-shell i.e. 1s).
Zuzana
Hi,
I would like to ask, why K-shell electrons coming from the internal conversion are much more frequent than L or M-shell electrons (see Fig). K-shell electrons are more tightly bound than L-shell, I would say that it is easier for gamma particle to kick off less tightly electron, no?
1650994503436.png

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of an electron being found within the nucleus decreases as the shell increases. It is more probable for a K electron to be involved in the internal conversion process than an L or M electron.

Likes Zuzana and Astronuc
DrClaude said:
The probability of an electron being found within the nucleus decreases as the shell increases. It is more probable for a K electron to be involved in the internal conversion process than an L or M electron.
what do you mean by "within the nucleus"? electrons are at the atomic orbitals (shells outside the nucleus).

Zuzana said:
what do you mean by "within the nucleus"? electrons are at the atomic orbitals (shells outside the nucleus).
No, the wave function is extended. There is a non-zero probability of finding the electron at the nucleus.
1651071416430.png

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and Zuzana
Aha, DrClaude beat me to it while I was Googling. Here's another set of examples:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hydwf.html

The probability of the electron having a small-enough value of ##r## to be inside the nucleus, is smaller for excited states (e.g. L-shell i.e. 2s, 2p) than for the ground state (K-shell i.e. 1s).

Likes vanhees71 and Zuzana
Now, I understand. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Likes berkeman
On the graphs at the link that I posted, the horizontal axis is given as multiples of ##a_0##, the Bohr radius (the radius of the K shell in the Bohr model).

Exercise: look up typical values for the radius of nuclei that undergo internal conversion, and compare to ##a_0##, so as to see what part of those graphs comes into play in internal conversion.

1. What is internal conversion?

Internal conversion is a process in which an excited atom or nucleus releases energy by transferring it to one of its own orbital electrons. This results in the emission of an electron from the atom or nucleus instead of a photon.

2. How is internal conversion different from other forms of radioactive decay?

Internal conversion differs from other forms of radioactive decay, such as alpha and beta decay, because it does not involve the emission of particles from the nucleus. Instead, it involves the transfer of energy to an electron within the atom.

3. What factors affect the likelihood of internal conversion?

The likelihood of internal conversion is affected by the energy level of the excited atom or nucleus, as well as the energy and distance between the excited electron and the nucleus. Additionally, the type of atom and its electron configuration can also play a role.

4. How is internal conversion used in scientific research?

Internal conversion is used in various scientific fields, such as nuclear physics and medical imaging. It can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of atoms and nuclei, and is also used in techniques such as electron capture spectroscopy.

5. Is internal conversion harmful to living organisms?

Internal conversion can be harmful to living organisms if they are exposed to high levels of radiation from radioactive materials. However, the degree of harm depends on the type and energy of the radiation, as well as the duration of exposure. Proper safety measures should always be taken when working with radioactive materials.