Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons in antinodes of orbitals

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    Hi

Thinking of the structure of an atom in terms of spherical harmonics; the mathematics of which is the base of schrodinger's wave equation.

If its possible to make the electrons gather at the antinodes, what are the possible applications/uses of this? (Simply a new area for research? or perhaps something greater?)

Please share any thoughts on what you might find interesting in an 'antinode' atom?

Thanks
    Kakarot1905

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

cgk

Science Advisor

1) I've never heard the word antinode. What is that supposed to be?
    2) Spherical harmonics are related to problems with spherical symmetry and laplace differential operators. The only thing they have to do with the Schrödinger equation is that they are often seen in this context because the atom problem has spherical symmetry. They are certainly not be basis of any mathematics, merely some special solutions.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3
    I was assuming that atomic orbitals to be some kind of spherical waves..

Nodes and Antinodes:
    [URL]http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/h4.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Jul 31, 2011 #4
    This article might help what I am trying to describe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(physics)" [Broken]

//Read the chemistry bit

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jul 31, 2011 #5
    I realized that electrons can be described as quantum mechanical waves....
    I was assuming that electrons are point-like particles stuck in the nodal region of some kind of force field created by the nucleus - I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 1, 2011 #6
    I think you are misunderstanding what an electron is. The wavefunction is the electron. The antinodes are part of the electron. That's like asking, "how do I gather an oscillating rope at its antinodes?" or "How do I stand in my own lap?" If you where to gather the rope to the point in space where there was an antinode, it would not be an antinode anymore. You can alter an electron's wavefunction so that it bunches up more at certain points in space, for instance by applying magnetic fields, but the electron becomes a new wavefunction shape with new nodes, etc.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #7
    Not to be rude, but perhaps if you don't know a word, let someone else answer who does, instead of just posting "I don't know" which is not very helpful.:smile:

Cheers!
    - Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook