New open-shell molecular electronic structure program: What to do with it?

In summary, this forum member has found a new multireference CI program that can correlate general MCSCF wave functions. This program has the potential to do things like potential energy surface scans during bond breaking/formation, (general) excited state calculations, 1-electron properties of molecules (electric moments and stuff), and strongly correlated ground state wave functions (say, in transition metal complexes). The main problem is that the forum member is not very good with real molecular physics or chemistry, and they can't come up with anything interesting to apply the program to.
cgk
Science Advisor
Hello forum members,
I got a nifty new multireference CI program at my hands and now I'm wondering what to do with it. The program is able to correlate general MCSCF wave functions, and as such basically any kind of molecular electronic structure imaginable; in particular also electronic structures in which DFTs blow up (as long as the molecule is small enough).

The new program could do things like potential energy surface scans during bond breaking/formation, (general) excited state calculations, 1-electron properties of molecules (electric moments and stuff), and strongly correlated ground state wave functions (say, in transition metal complexes). My main problem now is: I'm not really that good with real molecular physics or chemistry (I'm in method development), and I can't come up with anything truly interesting to apply it to. Does anyone have a suggestion? Otherwise I'd probably go for ligand effects in small transition metal clusters to demonstrate its efficacy.

Things the new program can likely do (with enought patience):
- treat molecules with up to 15-30 atoms (depends on the atoms and the accuracy goals)
- treat active spaces up to ~15-25 orbitals
- treat reference spaces up to around 1-10 million CSFs
- additionally treat up to around 30-100 closed-shell orbitals (i.e., a large inactive space)

Especially the closed-shell part (it's really good with these) should significantly extend the capabilities of all previous MRCI programs. Yet it is written with with routine applications in mind (say, to get reference values for model clusters for checking which DFT to use), and I wonder if there is anything more interesting to investigate. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe something like http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ct9006234" (although a smaller system or model would be required of course, perhaps a biomimetic model); So I'm thinking maybe metallo-organic systems/organic catalysts, and problems in multistate reactivity.

I was recently told there's a lot of low-lying fruit for excited-state methods in organic/metallo-organic catalysis problems, although I don't know any examples off-the-top-of-my-head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, alxm. That looks interesting. I'll definitely investigate this direction!

1. What is a new open-shell molecular electronic structure program?

A new open-shell molecular electronic structure program is a computer software designed for scientists to study the electronic structure of molecules with unpaired electrons, also known as open-shell molecules. It uses advanced computational methods to accurately calculate the molecular properties and behavior of these molecules.

2. What makes this program different from other electronic structure programs?

This program is different from other electronic structure programs because it specifically focuses on open-shell molecules, which have unique properties and behaviors that require specialized methods to study. It also utilizes advanced algorithms and techniques to provide more accurate and reliable results.

3. How can this program be used in scientific research?

This program can be used in various scientific research areas such as chemistry, material science, and physics. It can help scientists understand the properties and behavior of open-shell molecules, which are essential in understanding chemical reactions, designing new materials, and developing new technologies.

4. Is this program user-friendly for non-experts?

While this program is designed for scientists, it is also user-friendly for non-experts. It has a user-friendly interface and provides detailed instructions and documentation to guide users through the calculations. However, a basic understanding of molecular electronic structure is still necessary to use this program effectively.

5. Can this program be used by multiple users at the same time?

Yes, this program can be used by multiple users at the same time. It has the capability to run on multiple processors, allowing multiple calculations to be performed simultaneously. This can be beneficial for collaborative research projects or for increasing the efficiency of calculations.