Electrons, quarks and gluons made from something or nothing?

In summary: Exactly. These states of matter refer to how large numbers of atoms and molecules are configured. E.g. ice, liquid water and water vapour are all composed of the same ##H_2O## molecules - which themselves are systems of many elementary particles (electrons and quarks, with the quarks being composed into protons and neutrons).So, gaseous, liquid and solid don't apply to elementary particles.Correct. They are composed of quantum fields.
weirdoguy said:
Changing forums won't change the answers. But good luck with realising that.
I'm not searching for different answers. Just more open-minded discussions.

• Sad
Likes Vanadium 50 and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
wonderingchicken said:
I'm not searching for different answers. Just more open-minded discussions.
The purpose of this site is explicitly to discuss physics as a current academic subject.

If you would rather discuss physics in more mystical terms, then there is the rest of the Internet.

Likes Dale
wonderingchicken said:
Watch out... saying something like that here can get you getting pounced...

I heard of rishons but I will check it out.
It is a well-known model by Harari (1981). Explains ALL reactions. Like proton decay (a mere exchange of rishons). The Higgs field (not the particle) in its present form (Mexican hat) is absent and the weak force is residue.

Z-andW-, as well as the Higgs are composed of six rishons. Quark and leptons of three. How economic can it get?

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Motore and weirdoguy
wonderingchicken said:
I do want to learn physics, but what I saw are several different answers.
Ok, then if you want to learn physics, please spend a few minutes and answer the following question: what hypothetical experiment could conclusively answer your question?

Dale said:
Ok, then if you want to learn physics, please spend a few minutes and answer the following question: what hypothetical experiment could conclusively answer your question?
Both void or vacuum whatever you called it and elementary particles are indivisible and have no clear physical boundaries but the difference being elementary particles have energy while void, vacuum, empty space, etc. doesn't. There are many experiments that show the motion of electrons while we can't observe or do experiments on void or vacuum because void is simply nothing.

Likes Prishon
wonderingchicken said:
Both void or vacuum whatever you called it and elementary particles are indivisible and have no clear physical boundaries but the difference being elementary particles have energy while void, vacuum, empty space, etc. doesn't. There are many experiments that show the motion of electrons while we can't observe or do experiments on void or vacuum because void is simply nothing.
OK, so are you saying that an experiment showing the motion of an electron would answer your question?

Dale said:
OK, so are you saying that an experiment showing the motion of an electron would answer your question?
Just read several papers of experiments involving the motion of electrons (such as electron wavefunctions), so the obvious distinguishable difference between elementary particles and void is elementary particles are vibrating (since elementary particles are also waving if I'm not mistaken). When something is vibrating, it is moving.

Prishon said:
Quarks and leptons (and w and Z) are made up out of two rishons only.
As of yet there is no evidence whatsoever to support the rishon model.

wonderingchicken said:
Just read several papers of experiments involving the motion of electrons (such as electron wavefunctions), so the obvious distinguishable difference between elementary particles and void is elementary particles are vibrating (since elementary particles are also waving if I'm not mistaken). When something is vibrating, it is moving.
So it sounds like that was a “yes” and that you have concluded that the experiments have been performed and the experimental evidence shows that an electron is not composed of the void.

That is good. That is physics.

I believe that if you review the answers provided in this thread that all of them agreed on this physical point.

• Haha
Likes Rev. Cheeseman
Dale said:
As of yet there is no evidence whatsoever to support the rishon model.
There wasn't any for the quark model too (1961). But it looks clear to me that there are too many (though related in families) quarks and leptons. On top of that, the W- and Z's are massive.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Prishon said:
Ah yes! It's the question though if our 3d (spatial) universe was always infinite. I don't think so.
If we defined universe as everything including the finite but unbounded universe and the region beyond (including the void), isn't it still infinite?

Likes Prishon
wonderingchicken said:
Can I ask you what's your opinion about elementary particles?
I don't have any opinion other than what our current Standard Model says. It says elementary particles are quantum fields.

Likes valenumr
Prishon said:
There wasn't any for the quark model too (1961). But it looks clear to me that there are too many (though related in families) quarks and leptons. On top of that, the W- and Z's are massive.
I am just saying that it is very premature at this time to make a statement like “a lepton is composed of two rishons.” There is 0 evidence to support that claim. You may like the rishon model and you may even have sound theoretical reasons for expecting it to be correct. But “is” implies a degree of certainty that is not currently justified.

I remind you that on PF all posts are expected to be consistent with the professional scientific literature. Please make sure that your rishon related posts are. Rishons are (to my knowledge) a valid theory, but have 0 experimental support. So an assertion about its validity is not consistent with the literature.

wonderingchicken said:
If we defined universe as everything including the finite but unbounded universe and the region beyond (including the void)
There is no such thing as "the region beyond", as you have already been told repeatedly. As you have also already been told, asking wrong questions repeatedly doesn't make them right.

Your question has been answered as well as it can be here. Thread closed.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters, hutchphd, Rev. Cheeseman and 2 others
Sorry @PeterDonis I wanted to give some advice about the next question.
wonderingchicken said:
Not composed of nothing (void) or something, but the similarity is still there (being indivisible, have no physical boundaries, etc.) but also at the same time have differences where the elementary objects have motion while void doesn't.
Excellent, I am glad we could answer that question. As you further consider the similarities you mention, when you ask your next question, give some thought about experiments that could answer the question conclusively. The experiments do not need to have already been performed, nor do they need to be economically or technologically feasible, but they should be possible in principle (I.e. no magic).

If you can focus your questions in that way then you will understand how the world works and why scientists use the models we do. You will also get more consistent answers and avoid a lot of philosophy where people’s opinions will vary substantially.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and Rev. Cheeseman