Electrostatic Filter for Computers

• Thread starter ianp
  • Start date
I'm a senior student in highschool requesting assistance and/or evaluation of a small-scale electrostatic filter for computer usage as a dust remover to prevent or mitigate build up of dust inside a computer.

Isometric pictures of the main parts are available.

It is basically an electrostatic filter for a computer that attatches to the outside intake vent of a computer which positively charges the incoming air in to order for it to be collected by a negatively charged collection plate. I did some research on how an electrostatic precipitator works, and I think i've got it down.

Not only that, I have also implimented a easy cleaning method to the collection plate, by allowing the collection plates to turn by a basic pulley system. It is intented to work almost like window blinds.

So far there are 3 parts: The base (where the positive charger housing and the collection plate housing set go), the positive charger housing, and the collection plate housing.

My major concern is if this is a viable way to deal with the dust/computer problem.

Answers and Replies

Hey ianp,
Interesting project.

It comes to mind that the mass a certain particle will have will greatly determine the static force required to "pull" that particle out of the air, also, how infiltrated are the surroundings with particulate?

So I would speculate that the environment in which the computer is located would greatly determine the feasibility of your dust removal system. I would build a prototype and just try it out!

The dust filter on my pc just uses a 180mm fan to suck air through a small-holed screen. It seems to work, but it does plug up fairly quickly.

Regards,
Dave

You could also use water cooling and don't suck any air into the computer at all.