Electrostatic force and Gravitational force

In summary, the conversation discusses the electrostatic and gravitational forces between two charged particles. The electrostatic force is found to be 2.5x10-4 N and the gravitational force is calculated to be 2.668x10-10 N. The last part of the conversation discusses the comparison between the two forces and their effects on a larger scale. The gravitational force, although weaker, has a much farther reach than the electrostatic force, which is evident in the forces that connect planets and stars.
MartinaCilia
I have physics homework and came across this question :

I was asked to find the electrostatic force between two charged particles each having a charge of +5.0x10-9 C and which were separated by a distance of 3cm. I found it to be 2.5x10-4 N.Then I was told to calculate the gravitational force given that the two charged particles have a mass of 0.060kg. I calculated the gravitational force to be 2.668x10-10 N Finally I was asked this question :

Although the force of gravity is much weaker than the electrostatic force, it has a far more reaching effect. Explain.

Can anyone kindly tell me the answer to the last part of the question please ? I thought that maybe the answer should be derived from the two formulae of the respective forces, maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces that interconnect planets and stars and galaxies.

What is the difference between electrostatic force and gravitational force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between charged particles, while gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The main difference is that electrostatic force is caused by the presence of electric charges, while gravitational force is caused by the presence of mass.

How are electrostatic force and gravitational force similar?

Both electrostatic force and gravitational force are fundamental forces of nature that act at a distance. They both follow an inverse square law, meaning the force decreases with the square of the distance between the two objects. They also both involve the concept of fields, where the force is exerted on an object due to the influence of the field created by another object.

What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force and gravitational force?

The strength of electrostatic force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The force increases with increasing charge and decreases with increasing distance. For gravitational force, the strength is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The force increases with increasing mass and decreases with increasing distance.

Can electrostatic force and gravitational force cancel each other out?

Yes, electrostatic force and gravitational force can cancel each other out. This occurs when two objects have equal but opposite charges or masses, and are at a specific distance where the forces are balanced. This is known as equilibrium and can be seen in objects like charged particles or planets in orbit around each other.

How are electrostatic force and gravitational force used in everyday life?

Electrostatic force is used in many everyday objects such as batteries, magnets, and electronic devices. It is also used in industrial processes like painting and air filtration. Gravitational force is responsible for keeping objects on the Earth's surface, as well as the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It is also used in technologies like satellites and space travel.