1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force between 2 hemispheres

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q, what is the force of repulsion between the northern and southern hemispheres

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\large f=\sigma Eav=1/2 \sigma(Eabove+Ebelow). \\Fz=\int fz dA =\int \sigma Eav cos\theta R^{2}sin\theta d\theta d\phi=\int \frac{Q}{2*4\pi R^2}\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon o R^2}cos\theta R^{2}sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure why you don't integrate the R^2 in spherical coordinates? when you integrate are you summing force differential elements from each piece from the volume of the sphere? also since E is 0 inside the conductor and there is a force only outside, the force tends to separate the hemispheres and then doesn't the force cancel (this seems to be the calculation for one hemisphere only)? maybe I don't understand the integral sum of the force elements?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're not integrating over the volume; you're integrating over the area. A sphere is a two-dimensional surface.

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    thanks, sorry so I am summing the differential force elements in the z direction from the surface of the sphere by taking Ez? but aren't there radial force elements in all directions which cancel in the +z -z with azimuthal symmetry? or if you calculate the force of each hemisphere then wouldn't the integration be from 0 to pi for phi instead of 2 pi?

do most people take mechanics before EM like from some text?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted