1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Force/Coulomb's Law

1. Aug 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1zmgz6x.png

2. Relevant equations

F=qE

3. The attempt at a solution

So in solving the problem, parts a) and b) were rather easy, and I believed part c) would be easy as well. I assumed:

F=10156*(1.6E-19) which came out to 1.63E-15, but that was apparently incorrect and I'm not sure what else to try. Any help is really appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2014 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

You are doing it correctly. So there are three possibilities:

i) there is a mistake in the online answer checker,

ii) you just punched in the wrong values by mistake when you did your multiplication (easy to check!)

iii) or there is a mistake in the online answer checker for part A and the E field there is actually incorrect.

It seems to me that the most likely is i).

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that the problem had limited attempts and since posting this I have run out of attempts unfortunately. I have emailed my professor to ask him what was wrong with it and hopefully it'll get fixed. Thanks for the quick response!

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10156 is not the same as the 10516 I saw in post 1. So the most likely is ii. Easy to check that 1.6*1.05 is not 1.63 but 1.68 indeed.

Pity about the score, but perhaps you have learned something much more valuable....

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5
    Honestly did not even notice that, thanks for the help. That's what it was.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted