1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Force of a Triangle

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that the magnitude of the net electrostatic force exerted on the point charge q2 in the figure is 0.65 N . (Figure 1) http://imgur.com/4lZliPq

Find the distance D.

q1 = 2.1 micro C
    q2 = 6.3 micro C
    q3 = -.89 micro C

2. Relevant equations

F = k |q1| |q2| / r^2
    k = 8.99 E9

3. The attempt at a solution

Normally for this problem I'd try to find the different forces that affect each other but for this problem there is 2 unknowns and I'm not sure how to use the net force of q2 to find the distance.

Fx 1 on 2 = K|q1||q2|(cos 60) / d^2 =

Fy 1 on 2 = K|q1||q2|sin60 / d^2=

Not really sure where to go with this problem :( any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Force is a vector - you know how to find the relation for the magnitude of each force individually, and you know what they have to add up to, and you know how to do a vector sum.

You are doing the trig a little early - just add them head-to-tail.
    (Remember about triangles and parallelograms?)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Hmmmm....Not quite following you, so in a way we should work backwards?

F2= .65 N

.65 = F 1 on 2 + F 3 on 2

Is that what you're saying?

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm saying $$|\vec{F}_2|=|\vec{F}_{21}+\vec{F}_{23}|=0.65 \text{N}$$... remember, forces are vectors.
    The net force on 2, is the vector sum of the forces due to 3 and 1 - and the magnitude of the resultant force is 0.65N.

Try this - draw a free-body diagram for q2.

Sketch arrows for the directions of the forces (one of them will be a lot bigger than the other, and be careful about the directions since the other two charges have opposite signs.) Concentrate on getting the angles right - use a protractor.

Draw the parallelogram of vectors to get the resultant.
    This will give you two triangles and some angles - you also know the size of the resultant vector.
    Use your knowledge of triangles - you know, all that geometry you did in math class?
    sum of angles, the sine rule, the cosine rule, that stuff.

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    So this is what I have so far...

.65N=F12 + F32
    .65N = (Kq2 / R^2)(q1cos60 + q1sin60 + q3cos60 + q3sin60)

Am I on the right track?

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6
    Anyone have any ideas?

8. Feb 21, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This does not make sense. Where does all this trig come from? It looks to me that you don't know how to add vectors geometrically. OK then - define an x and y direction and resolve the vectors against them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook