1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Forces on Particles

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Electrostatic Forces on Particles

"An Astatine 219 nucleus and an alpha particle at a spacing of 1.5 x 10^-15 m are formed during alpha decay. If the initial velocity of the two particles is zero, calculate the ratio of their velocities."

I was thinking of making a ratio of their kinetic energy, but I'm not sure if that's simplifying the problem too much.

If I make a ratio, I get:
    .5 x m1 x v1^2 : .5 x m2 x v2^2

v1
    --- = sqrt [m2 / m1]
    v2

Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    Seems right to me. Conservation of kinetic energy is a handy trick!

4. May 27, 2008 #3
    I'm just not sure if it can be done any other way....because I certainly cannot use force (since force varies with the distance, just like the gravitational potential well). So all I could think of was energy.

However, I'm particularly unsure because my manipulation basically equates the two kinetic energies; that is, the energy of the alpha particle is the same as that of the astatine particle.

5. May 28, 2008 #4
    Yes, the energies are the same, but the velocities are different.
    This is due to the different masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?