Momentum problem -- The collision of two particles with different masses

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving two particles colliding and the resulting velocities and directions of the particles after the collision. The solution uses conservation of momentum in the y-direction to determine the ratio of the speeds V2'/V1'. The conversation also briefly mentions momentum, collisions, and external forces.
A.MHF

Homework Statement

So I have this practice problem with the solution, but I don't understand how:

"A particle of mass m1 and speed v1 in the +x direction collides with another particle of mass m2. Mass m2 is at rest before the collision occurs, thus v2 = 0. After the collision, the particles have velocities v'1 and v'2 . in the xy plane with directions θ1 and θ2 with the x-axis as shown below. There are no external forces acting on the system. Express all of your answers in terms of m1, m2, v1, θ1 and θ2.

Q:What is the ratio of the speeds v'2/v'1 ?"

The answer goes like this:

"Conservation of momentum in the y direction: m1v'1 sin θ1 = m2v'2sin θ2
and by solving for ratio we get:

m1sinθ1/m2sinθ2"

Why did we choose the conservation in the y not the x direction?
Can this problem be solved any other way?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first attempted the problem, I thought of solving it like this:
v1'=v1'(sqrt[(cos(θ1)+sin(θ1))^2])
v2'=v2'(sqrt[(cos(θ2)+sin(θ2))^2])
And since momentum is conserved,
m1v1=m1v1'(sqrt[(cos(θ1)+sin(θ1))^2])+m2v2'(sqrt[(cos(θ2)+sin(θ2))^2])

But this feels wrong, and I don't know what's with it.
Please feel free to correct me and give me more info about momentum and collision if needed, I understand it but I don't feel like having a full grasp of the concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
A.MHF said:
When I first attempted the problem, I thought of solving it like this:
v1'=v1'(sqrt[(cos(θ1)+sin(θ1))^2])
v2'=v2'(sqrt[(cos(θ2)+sin(θ2))^2])
I don't understand how you got these equations?

With no external forces acting the momentum of a system is conserved. Thus the momentum of the system after the collision must be identical to the momentum before the collision.

Momentum is a vector quantity (magnitude and direction). It is conserved separately in both x and y directions and in total. That means if the initial momentum had no y-component (as in this problem), the final momentum must also have no y-component when you sum up the contributions from all the moving parts. Similarly, the final momenta in the x-direction must sum to what it was before the collision.

The given solution for determining the ratio of the speeds V2'/V1' took advantage of the fact that the total momentum in the y-direction happens to be zero.

Likes A.MHF
paisiello2 said:
I don't understand how you got these equations?

Sorry ignore that, I realized I wasn't thinking correctly.

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, momentum is a measure of how much force is required to stop an object from moving.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two particles with different masses, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a particle?

The momentum of a particle is affected by two main factors - mass and velocity. An object with a larger mass will have a greater momentum than an object with a smaller mass, given that they have the same velocity. Additionally, a particle with a higher velocity will have a greater momentum than a particle with a lower velocity, given that they have the same mass.

4. How does the collision of two particles with different masses affect their velocities?

In a collision between two particles with different masses, their velocities will change according to the law of conservation of momentum. The particle with a smaller mass will experience a greater change in velocity compared to the particle with a larger mass. This means that the lighter particle will have a higher final velocity after the collision, while the heavier particle will have a lower final velocity.

5. Can the total momentum of a system change?

No, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. This means that in the absence of any external forces, the total momentum of a system before a collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision.