1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic interaction energy example (jackson)

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to follow a derivation in Jackson - Classical Electrodynamics

2. Relevant equations

In equation 1.58 (2nd/3rd edition) of Jackson - Classical Electrodynamics he says that by using the fact that [itex]\mathbf{\rho} \cdot (\mathbf{\rho} +\mathbf{n})/ | \mathbf{\rho +n|}^{3} = \nabla_{\rho}(1/|\mathbf{\rho}+\mathbf{n}|), [/itex] the integral [itex] \int {\mathbf{\rho} \cdot (\mathbf{\rho} +\mathbf{n})/ \rho^3 | \mathbf{\rho +n|}^{3}} [/itex] can be easily shown to be equal to to [itex] 4\pi [\itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't really follow on how to solve this integral once the fact mentioned above is known. I know how to solve the integral using spherical coordinates, but from what I have seen that does not follow from what Jackson said at all. I am just curious if there is an easier to evaluate the integral using the gradient identity.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a typo, but that's probably not the problem. We actually have to use the identity

[itex] \frac{\vec{\rho}+\hat{n}}{ | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|^3 } = - \nabla_\rho \left( \frac{1}{ | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|} \right)[/itex]

twice to rewrite

[itex]\int d^3\rho \frac{ \vec{\rho}\cdot ( \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}) }{ \rho^3 | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|^3} = \int d^3\rho \left[ \nabla_\rho \left( \frac{1}{ \rho} \right) \right] \cdot \left[ \nabla_\rho \left( \frac{1}{ | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|} \right) \right]. [/itex]

If we integrate by parts we find

[itex] \int d^3\rho \nabla_\rho\cdot \left[ \frac{1}{ | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|} \nabla_\rho \left( \frac{1}{ \rho} \right) \right]
    -\int d^3\rho \frac{1}{ | \vec{\rho}+\hat{n}|} \nabla_\rho^2 \left( \frac{1}{ \rho} \right) . [/itex]

We can use the divergence theorem to show that the first, total derivative, term vanishes, while for the 2nd term, we use the fact that [itex]1/\rho[/itex] is the Green function for the 3d Laplace equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook