Electrostatic Problem - finding initial separation of two particles

In summary, an electrostatic problem involves calculating interactions between charged particles in an electric field. To find the initial separation of two particles, Coulomb's law can be used and it is affected by the magnitude of their charges, distance between them, and dielectric constant of the medium. The initial separation can change over time due to particle movement or changing electric field. It is inversely proportional to the strength of the electric field.
AaronMartin

Homework Statement

One particle has a mass of [itex]3.00 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] kg and a charge of [itex]+8.00 \mu[/itex] C. A second particle has a mass of [itex]6.00 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] kg and the same charge. The two particles are initially held in place and then released. The particles fly apart, and when the separation between them is 0.100 m, the speed of the [itex]3.00 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] kg particle is 125 m/s. Find the initial separation between the particles.

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \frac{kq}{r}, E = \frac{F}{q} or E=\frac{kq}{r^2}, U = qV, F=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2}, \frac{1}{2}mv^2_A + U_A = \frac{1}{2}mv^2_B + U_B[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily calculate the force of repulsion between the two particles and the electric field vectors from each particle. I don't know how to include the speed to find the initial distance.

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the last equation, remembering that the velocity of both particles is initially 0.

Also, because no external forces act on the two particles, there's a quantity other than energy that's conserved. What is it?

Momentum.

[itex]\begin{aligned}\rho_{before} &= \rho_{after}\\ mv_1 + mv_2 &= mv_1 + mv_2\\ 0 &= -125 \times 3.00 \times 10^{-3} + 6.00 \times 10^{-3}v_2\\v_2 &= \frac{125 \times 3.00 \times 10^{-3}}{6.00 \times 10^{-3}}\\ &=62.5\,m/s \end{aligned}[/itex]

How can I use the conservation of energy to work out the distance? I don't know the potentials.

You've written down the necessary equations to work out the potentials in your first post!

Is this correct?
[itex]
\begin{aligned}
\frac{1}{2}mv^2_A + U_A &= \frac{1}{2}m^2_B + U_B\\
0 + U_A & = \left(\frac{1}{2}mv^2_1 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2_2 \right) + U_B
\end{aligned}
[/itex]
where [itex]\begin{aligned} U_B &= qV\\ &=q \times \frac{kq}{r}\\ &= \frac{8.99 \times 10^9}{0.100}\end{aligned}[/itex]
Since I know v1 = 125 m/s and v2 = 62.5 m/s and if U_B is correct, then all I have to do is find U_A and then use U = qV and find r?

AaronMartin said:
Is this correct?
[itex]
\begin{aligned}
\frac{1}{2}mv^2_A + U_A &= \frac{1}{2}m^2_B + U_B\\
0 + U_A & = \left(\frac{1}{2}mv^2_1 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2_2 \right) + U_B
\end{aligned}
[/itex]
where [itex]\begin{aligned} U_B &= qV\\ &=q \times \frac{kq}{r}\\ &= \frac{8.99 \times 10^9}{0.100}\end{aligned}[/itex]
Since I know v1 = 125 m/s and v2 = 62.5 m/s and if U_B is correct, then all I have to do is find U_A and then use U = qV and find r?

You seem to have forgotten to multiply by q2. Other than that, yes, all you have to do is find U_A and use U=qV again.

Ok. To continue where I left off:
[itex]
\begin{aligned}
U_A &= (0.5 \times 3.00 \times 10^{-3} \times (-125)^2 + 0.5 \times 6.00 \times 10^{-3} \times 62.5^2) + \frac{8.99 \times 10^9 \times (8.00 \times 10^{-6})^2}{0.100}\\
&= 2.53 \times 10^7\,J\\
\\
U_A &= qV\\
V &= \frac{U_A}{q}\\
&= \frac{2.53 \times 10^7}{8.00 \times 10^{-6}}\\
&= 3.16 \times 10^{12}\\
\\
V &= \frac{kq}{r}\\
r&=\frac{kq}{V}\\
&= \frac{8.99 \times 10^9 \times 8.00 \times 10^{-6}}{3.12 \times 10^{12}}\\
&= 2.28 \times 10^{-8}\,m\\
&= 22.8\,nm
\end{aligned}
[/itex]
Is that a reasonable answer? Is it correct? It seems far too small to me.

AaronMartin said:
[itex]
\begin{aligned}
U_A &= (0.5 \times 3.00 \times 10^{-3} \times (-125)^2 + 0.5 \times 6.00 \times 10^{-3} \times 62.5^2) + \frac{8.99 \times 10^9 \times (8.00 \times 10^{-6})^2}{0.100}\\
&= 2.53 \times 10^7\,J\\

\end{aligned}
[/itex]

You made a math error on this line; the answer should be much smaller.

Thanks. I must have missed a bracket or something.
[itex]U_A = 40.9\,J[/itex]
The answer should now be 0.014 m or 1.4 cm. This seems a bit more reasonable.

1. What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces and interactions between charged particles in an electric field.

2. How do you find the initial separation of two particles in an electrostatic problem?

To find the initial separation of two particles, you will need to use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for the initial separation.

3. What factors affect the initial separation of two particles in an electrostatic problem?

The initial separation of two particles is affected by the magnitude of their charges, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them. If the particles have opposite charges, they will attract each other and have a smaller initial separation. If they have the same charge, they will repel each other and have a larger initial separation.

4. Can the initial separation of two particles in an electrostatic problem change over time?

Yes, the initial separation of two particles can change over time if the particles are moving or if the electric field between them is changing. The particles will experience a force that will cause them to move closer or farther apart, thus changing their initial separation.

5. How is the initial separation of two particles related to the strength of the electric field between them?

The initial separation of two particles is inversely proportional to the strength of the electric field between them. This means that as the electric field gets stronger, the initial separation between the particles decreases. Conversely, if the electric field gets weaker, the initial separation between the particles increases.