Electrostatic problem (point charges)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the electric field equation is derived from Coloumb's Law. The solution is given in the form of an answer sheet which the person asking the question is having trouble understanding. They share their attempt at solving the problem and ask for help understanding why the result is the fourth root of 2 instead of the square root of 2. Another person gives some advice on how to approach the problem and suggests double checking the solution for any errors.
martinskibg

Homework Statement

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3e00ce8695.gif

Homework Equations

Electric field equation derived from Coloumb's Law (given on the screenshot above).

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution is given in the form of answer sheet:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0d23171fd2.gif

My problem is - I can't understand how the result in point b) is derived. My best guess was deriving an equation for Ey and equate it to 0 (taking into account the new values for a, b and Q). From there a relation between b2 and b can be derived. But I really don't understand why the result is fourth root of 2. My guess was square rooth of 2? It's unclear to me but it seems that if Ey has to be negated, than Q2 has an opposite charge compared to the other ones? Where is this "point of origin"? I'm really confused :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
martinskibg said:
My best guess was deriving an equation for Ey and equate it to 0 (taking into account the new values for a, b and Q). From there a relation between b2 and b can be derived.

That seems like a good plan to me. Just remember, that at the origin [itex]x=y=0[/itex].

Also, you might want to double check the solution to part (a) that you posted, because I see two missing negative signs after just a quick glance at it, and there may be more errors.

1. What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem refers to situations where there are charges present and the forces between them need to be calculated. This can include situations with point charges, charged objects, or charged particles in motion.

2. What are point charges?

Point charges are charges that are considered to be concentrated at a single point in space. They have no physical size or shape, and their magnitude and direction can be described by a single value. They are typically represented by the symbol "q".

3. How do you calculate the force between two point charges?

The force between two point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant and r is the distance between the two charges.

4. What is the unit of charge used in electrostatic problems?

The unit of charge used in electrostatic problems is the Coulomb (C). It is defined as the amount of charge passing through a point in one second when there is a current of one Ampere (A).

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic problems?

Electrostatic problems have many real-life applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, the functioning of batteries and capacitors, and the behavior of lightning and thunderstorms. They are also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and the functioning of living cells in biology.