1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics 1st year engineering

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    at each corner of a rhobus , made of rods, each with a lenght of B, there are electric charges of "Q" and "q" so that each q charge is opposite a q charge and each Q charge opposite a Q charge. what does the ratio of Q/q need to be so that the angle (alpha) is

a)90 degrees
    b)60 degrees
    c)45 degrees
    (take the tension of the rods into account)

i started up by taking one of the corners and analyzing the forces on it, since the shape is static, Ftotal=0.
    i took the top Q charge and said, what are the forces acting on it,

the Coulumb force F(Q-Q) which pushes it upwards
    the Coulumb force F(Q-q) which (depends on the charge)
    the tension os the rods T

my problem is that i do not know which of the charges are negative(if any) or positive, so i cannot decide on the directions of the forces, the only one i do know is F(Q-Q) since Q must repell Q,

diagram below

diagram below
    http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5311131135994735922 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2
    what i did so far is:

since i dont know the sign of q, the coulomb force can either repell or attract Q

F(QQ)=2Tcos(α/2) ± 2F(Qq)cos(α/2)

q will always repell q so T is the force which balance that
    2Tsin(α/2) = F(qq)

F(QQ)=F(qq)cot(α/2) ± 2F(Qq)cos(α/2)

K[tex]\frac{QQ}{(2b*cos(alpha/2))^2}[/tex] = K[tex]\frac{qq}{(2b*sin(alpha/2))^2}[/tex]*cot(alpha/2) ± 2K[tex]\frac{Qq}{b^2}[/tex]cos(alpha/2)

(Q/q) * [tex]\frac{Q}{cos^2(alpha/2)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{sin^2(alpha/2)}[/tex]*cot(alpha/2) ± 8Qcos(alpha/2)

1st of all, is this alright?
    2nd of all, how do i find Q/q from this?? how do i get the q's and Q's out of this equation?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook