Calculating Work and Energy in Electrostatic Systems

In summary, to keep the box from moving, you would need to apply an electric force that balances the gravitational force.
hockeybro12

Homework Statement

I decide to use electric charges to move a 1000 kg box up a 30 degree frictionless ramp. I decide to put equal and opposite charges on the box and at the top of the 5.9 meter ramp.

Basically there is a right triangle with a box at the bottom with +q written next to it. The hypotenuse os 5.0 meters and the base angle where the box is standing is 30 degrees. At the top, it says -q

a) what magnitude charges do you need to keep the box from moving?

b) what is the initial energy of the box.

c) How much work does it take to separate the two charges from the 5.0 m apart to infinity?

d) how much work does it take to push the piano up by hand?

Homework Equations

PE=qV

F=kQ1Q2/r^2 (Coulumb's Law)
k = 9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that you have to use cosine/sine somewhere. Also, energy is conserved so that probably has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hockeybro12 said:

Homework Statement

I decide to use electric charges to move a 1000 kg box up a 30 degree frictionless ramp. I decide to put equal and opposite charges on the box and at the top of the 5.9 meter ramp.

Basically there is a right triangle with a box at the bottom with +q written next to it. The hypotenuse os 5.0 meters and the base angle where the box is standing is 30 degrees. At the top, it says -q

Homework Equations

I'm not sure. Maybe Coulumb's law. prob sine and cosine

The Attempt at a Solution

You haven't actually indicated here what problem you are being asked to solve.

Also, you'll have to show some sort of attempt (even a very basic start) at a solution. What have you tried so far on this problem? If you're stuck, what is it that you don't understand?

cepheid said:
You haven't actually indicated here what problem you are being asked to solve.

Also, you'll have to show some sort of attempt (even a very basic start) at a solution. What have you tried so far on this problem? If you're stuck, what is it that you don't understand?

I have edited the original thing. Sorry, I forgot about those 2 things.

The box is just going to slide down a frictionless ramp due to gravity, in the absence of any other forces. So, in this case, to keep the box from moving, the electric force, which is directed up the ramp, would have to cancel this gravitational force.

You should be able to work out, from the geometry of the situation, what the component of the gravitational force parallel to the ramp is.

cepheid said:
The box is just going to slide down a frictionless ramp due to gravity, in the absence of any other forces. So, in this case, to keep the box from moving, the electric force, which is directed up the ramp, would have to cancel this gravitational force.

You should be able to work out, from the geometry of the situation, what the component of the gravitational force parallel to the ramp is.

Hello, but aren't we supposed to use electrostatics and find a magnitude for a charge? I really don't see how gravity will help.

Never mind, thanks for your help. I have figured it out.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What is work in relation to electrostatics?

In electrostatics, work refers to the energy required to move a charged particle against an electric field.

3. How is work calculated in electrostatics?

The work done in electrostatics can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the potential difference through which it is moved.

4. What is the unit of work in electrostatics?

The unit of work in electrostatics is joules (J).

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatics and work?

Some real-life applications of electrostatics and work include the operation of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones, as well as the use of air purifiers and electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from the air.