1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics: Finding possible value of charge

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two small particles have electric charges of equal magnitude and opposite signs. The masses of the particles are m and 2m. Initially, the distance between the particles is d, and the velocities of the particles have equal magnitude v. However, the velocity of particle 2m is directed away from particle m, whereas the velocity of particle m is directed perpendicular to the line connecting the particles. In the subsequent motion of the particles, they are found to be at a distance 3d from each other—twice! Find the possible values of the charge of each particle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can apply conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum for this problem. But how do I know what will be the direction of final velocity vectors?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I need some help.

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Patience, patience.

It's too soon to bump your post.

Please, review the rules.

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Are you saying that I have not shown any attempt towards the problem?

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5
    No what he is saying is that you posted into your own thread too soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted