Electrostatics: Finding possible value of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving two small particles with equal but opposite charges and varying masses. The initial distance between the particles and their velocities are given, and the problem asks for the possible values of the charges of each particle. The solution involves applying conservation of energy and angular momentum, but the direction of the final velocity vectors is unknown. The poster is seeking help and is reminded to follow the forum rules.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two small particles have electric charges of equal magnitude and opposite signs. The masses of the particles are m and 2m. Initially, the distance between the particles is d, and the velocities of the particles have equal magnitude v. However, the velocity of particle 2m is directed away from particle m, whereas the velocity of particle m is directed perpendicular to the line connecting the particles. In the subsequent motion of the particles, they are found to be at a distance 3d from each other—twice! Find the possible values of the charge of each particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can apply conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum for this problem. But how do I know what will be the direction of final velocity vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
I need some help.

utkarshakash said:
I need some help.

Patience, patience.

It's too soon to bump your post.

Please, review the rules.

SammyS said:
Patience, patience.

It's too soon to bump your post.

Please, review the rules.

Are you saying that I have not shown any attempt towards the problem?

No what he is saying is that you posted into your own thread too soon.

1. What is electrostatics and how does it relate to finding the value of charge?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and their interactions. It is closely related to finding the value of charge because it involves understanding and calculating the forces between charged objects.

2. How is the value of charge calculated in electrostatics?

The value of charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What are some methods for finding the value of charge in electrostatics?

Some methods for finding the value of charge include using an electroscope, measuring the deflection of a charged object in an electric field, and using a ballistic galvanometer.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the value of charge in electrostatics?

The accuracy of calculating the value of charge can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measuring instruments, environmental conditions, and the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity.

5. Can the value of charge be negative in electrostatics?

Yes, the value of charge can be negative in electrostatics. This indicates the presence of an excess of electrons, which have a negative charge, on the object. Positive and negative charges are equally important in electrostatics and can interact with each other to create different effects.