Electrostatics, parallel plates

In summary: It is the correct region. But there's another way to look at it. The voltage of region L is 150V. The voltage of region K is 100V. So the voltage difference between L and K is 50V. Region L is providing a larger voltage change to the proton than the previous region. The proton is losing some energy climbing the potential of region L before entering the next region. So, your calculation of ΔV is correct, but it's also important to think about which region will provide the necessary voltage change to stop the proton.
physics604
1. A proton with kinetic energy of 2.1 x 10-17 J is moving into a region of charged parallel plates. The proton will be stopped momentarily in what region (attached diagram)?

a) Region K
b) Region L
c) Region N
d) Region M

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]Ek + [itex]\Delta[/itex]Ep = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\Delta[/itex]Ek + [itex]\Delta[/itex]Ep = 0
1/2mv2= -2×Q[itex]\Delta[/itex]v

v=√[itex]\frac{-2Q\Delta v}{m}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta[/itex]v = 2.1×10-17 / 1.6×10-19 = 131.25

I have an answer, but all the [itex]\Delta[/itex]v in the regions are 100, so I don't get how I am supposed to know what region it's supposed to stop in.

Attachments

• diagram.gif
    diagram.gif
    4 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
Each region presents a separate ΔV to the moving proton. When the proton moves from one region to the next, it only sees the ΔV of that region, but it's experienced the energy change due to the previous one. So it loses some energy climbing the potential of the previous region before entering the next. At some point the proton won't have enough energy to completely traverse a region. In fact, it will stop and reverse direction.

You've calculated a total ΔV that will reduce the proton's KE to zero. Within which region will the total ΔV traversed reach this value?

Is it the second region (L) because 131 is between 100 and 200?

physics604 said:
Is it the second region (L) because 131 is between 100 and 200?

That's a good reason :smile:

I would first clarify with the questioner what the units for the given kinetic energy are (e.g. Joules, electron volts, etc.) to ensure that my calculations are accurate. Once the units are clarified, I would use the given equation \DeltaEk + \DeltaEp = 0 to solve for the electric potential energy (Ep) of the proton in each region.

Since the proton is moving into a region of charged parallel plates, it will experience a change in potential energy due to the electric field created by the plates. The region where the proton will be stopped momentarily will be the one with the highest potential energy, as this is where the electric field is strongest.

Using the equation Ep = qΔV, where q is the charge of the proton and ΔV is the change in electric potential, I would calculate the potential energy in each region and determine which one has the highest value. This would correspond to the region where the proton will be stopped momentarily.

In conclusion, without further information or clarification, I am unable to provide a definitive answer to the question. I would always make sure to clarify any uncertainties or missing information in order to provide an accurate response.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What are parallel plates in electrostatics?

Parallel plates refer to two flat, parallel conducting surfaces that have equal and opposite charges. They are often used in experiments to study the behavior of electric charges and fields.

3. How do parallel plates create an electric field?

When two parallel plates have opposite charges, they create an electric field between them. The electric field is strongest near the edges of the plates and weaker in between them.

4. What is the equation for the electric field between parallel plates?

The equation is E = V/d, where E represents the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. How do parallel plates affect charged particles?

Charged particles placed between parallel plates will experience a force due to the electric field created by the plates. The direction and magnitude of the force will depend on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field.