1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics problem involving a Cone

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cone made of insulating material has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its sloping surface. Calculate the energy required to take a test charge q from infinity to apex A of cone. The slant length is L.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Potential at the tip of the cone is calculated by adding potentials due to rings of charges .

Let us consider a ring having charge 'dq' at a distance 'x' from the tip and at slant height L'. L'=xsecθ where θ is the half angle of the cone .

The surface area dS of the ring = 2π√(L'2-x2)dx

dq=Q(dS)/(πRL)

V = ∫dV = ∫kdq/L'

This doesn't give me correct answer .I am not sure if I have approached the problem correctly.

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Tanya. How "wide" is the ring on the surface of the cone? Is it dx?

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can not follow your notations. What are x and L'?

ehild

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4
    Hi TSny

The width is dxsecθ .That gives correct answer :smile: .

But I am having difficulty in comprehending (rather visualizing ) the difference between using dx and dxsecθ :shy:

My tiny brain can't differentiate between the two .I think if I use 'dx' then I am essentially covering the surface area of a cylinder ,not a cone . Am I right ?

But how is surface area of ring given by (Perimeter)(slant height) ? What is the shape of the differential element ? Is the ring in the form of a cylinder or is it more like a frustum of a cone?

'x' is distance of the center of the ring from the tip and L' is distance between the tip and a point on the circumference of the ring.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. Mar 10, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can help your brain by imagining a much bigger θ. Clearly no cylinder, hence the secθ.

7. Mar 10, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need the centre of the ring mix in. The charge is distributed along the surface.
    You get a circular section when you unroll the side of the cone. The centre of the circle is the tip of the cone. Can you see how to get the distance of a surface point from the tip? Do you see how to get the area of a ring?

ehild

Attached Files:

• cone.JPG
      cone.JPG
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Mar 10, 2014 #7
    Thanks ehild :smile:

Please have a look at the attachment .I have edited your diagram .Have I represented the ring (in red) correctly ?

Attached Files:

• cone.JPG
      cone.JPG
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Mar 10, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That "ring" is not a ring really but part of the cone surface. You do not need x at all. Let be l the distance of a point on the surface of the cone from the tip. The unrolled cone has the central angle Φ=2πr/L. Then the surface element is lΦ dl. The area of the side of the cone is A=L2Φ/2.

ehild

Attached Files:

10. Apr 3, 2014 #9
    Hello TSny...

Could you please respond to post#4 and post#7 .

I am still not very clear how dxsecθ is the width of the ring.I understand it is more of a calculus concept . But if you could give your views , that would be very helpful .

11. Apr 3, 2014 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does the attached diagram help? If you "unwrapped" the strip off of the cone, it would be approximately a rectangle of width as shown in the diagram and length equal to the circumference of the circular cross section of the cone at the location of the strip.

Attached Files:

12. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM #11
    It goes like this.
    Since u assumed an elementry part over the sloping surface , u must be inegrating over the surface .
    So,
    Instead of using dS= 2π√(L'2-x2) dx
    U must use dS=2π√(L'2-x2) dl.
    Hope u understood. This will give u correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted