1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a point charge at the tip of a solid uniformly charged insulating cone

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid insulating cone has a uniform charge density of rho and a total charge of Q. The base of teh cone had a radius of R and a height of h. We wish to find the electric force on a point charge of q' at point A, located at the tip of the cone. (Hint: You may use the result of the electric force along the axis of a disk when solving this problem.)

2. Relevant equations
    [
    [itex]E= \frac{Q}{2\pi \epsilon_{0} R^{2} }(1 -\frac{z}{ (z^{2}+R^{2}) ^{1/2} })[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I decide to lay the cone flat along the z axis. My calculations are independent of the coordinate system though ( which I think may be wrong). I choose a flat disc(area of a circle) for my charge element dQ.
    [itex] \rho = \frac{Q}{V}[/itex]
    [itex]dq = \rho \pi r^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]dF = \frac{\rho \pi r^{2}dr}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}h^{2}}[/itex]
    [itex]F = \frac{\rho \pi}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}h^{2}}\int^{0}_{R}r^{2}dr[/itex]
    [itex]F = \frac{-\rho\pi R^{3}}{12\pi \epsilon_{0}H^{2}}[/itex]
    [itex]F = \frac{-Q R^{3}}{12\pi \epsilon_{0}H^{4}}[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    first, the formula you have given for the electric field on the axis of the disk seems to be wrong. It should be

[tex]E= \frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_o R^2} \left[1 - \frac{z}{(z^2+R^2)^{1/2}}\right ][/tex]

where z is the distance of point A on the axis of the disk. Now you can think of a cone as
    pile of disks. So when you consider the charge element [itex]dQ[/itex], it should be
    [itex]dQ=\rho\pi R^2 t[/itex] where t is the thickness of the disk. You can take t as
    another small element [itex]dx[/itex] where x is the distance of the disk from the base.

Edit: For writing quotients in latex use \frac and not \stackrel. The later is used for
    writing some content above another. look here
    http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/~trivedi/LatexHelp/latex/stackrel.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook