Electric potential of a conical surface

In summary, the problem discusses finding the potential difference between two points on an inverted cone with a uniform surface charge. The solution involves using the definition of electric potential and considering the reference point to be zero potential at infinity. The integration for both points follows the same direction, from 0 to the height of the cone. This means that the reference points for both points are the same.
davon806

Homework Statement

(From Griffiths problem 2.26) :
A conical surface (an empty ice-cream cone) carries a uniform surface charge σ. The height of the cone is h, and the radius of the top is R. Find the potential difference between points a (the vertex) and b (the center of the top).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution to this problem: (EXAMPLE 4 of the page)
http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/10/electric-potential-from-charges-examples-1/

Whenever we are talking about electric potential,we need to specify the reference point.
i.e.
[itex] V(r) \equiv -\int_O^\mathbf{r} \mathbf{E \cdot} d \mathbf{l}\ [/itex]

Where O is some standard reference point s.t. V = 0 at that point.In most circumstance we regard infinity as the reference point.

If you picture an inverted cone in your mind, and follow the solution in the above link, then for V(0),
you integrate from the base of cone to the tip of the cone.
While for V(R) ( the base of the cone), you integrate from the tip of the cone up to the base of the cone).

But this two directions are exactly opposite, so how can we have two different reference point when calculating the potential difference V(R) - V(0) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
davon806 said:
If you picture an inverted cone in your mind, and follow the solution in the above link, then for V(0),
you integrate from the base of cone to the tip of the cone.
While for V(R) ( the base of the cone), you integrate from the tip of the cone up to the base of the cone).
Not when I read it:
For zv=0 they add all the contributions from the rings from z = 0 to z = R to find the potential V(0).
For zv=R they add all the contributions from the rings from z = 0 to z = R to find the potential V(R).

BvU said:
Not when I read it:
For zv=0 they add all the contributions from the rings from z = 0 to z = R to find the potential V(0).
For zv=R they add all the contributions from the rings from z = 0 to z = R to find the potential V(R).

Yes, but since these two points are located at the limit of integration (z = 0 and z = R). For z = 0, the tip is at bottom,and all the contributions are above of the tip;
But for z = R, all the contributions are below of the centre of base . I am a bit confused,does this invert the upper and lower limit of integration? And using the definition of V = [itex] V(r) \equiv -\int_O^\mathbf{r} \mathbf{E \cdot} d \mathbf{l}\ [/itex] , does the tip and centre of base have the same reference point ? I mean, because of "invert the upper and lower limit of integration" , I think the reference points in a and b are different as well. Sorry, I am very confused :nb)

davon806 said:
does this invert the upper and lower limit of integration?
No. The integral runs in the same direction in each case, from 0 to h.
davon806 said:
does the tip and centre of base have the same reference point ?
Yes. The reference point in both cases is zero potential at infinity. This is built into equation (16). Consider what happens to the expression for dV there as zv tends to infinity.

1. What is the definition of electric potential?

The electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a charged particle has at a particular point in space.

2. How is the electric potential of a conical surface calculated?

The electric potential of a conical surface can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the surface, and r is the distance from the surface.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of a conical surface?

The electric potential of a conical surface is affected by the charge on the surface, the distance from the surface, and the shape of the cone.

4. Can the electric potential of a conical surface be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a conical surface can be negative if the charge on the surface is negative. This means that the electric potential energy of a charged particle would decrease as it moves towards the surface.

5. How does the electric potential of a conical surface change with distance?

The electric potential of a conical surface decreases as the distance from the surface increases, following an inverse relationship. This means that the electric potential energy of a charged particle would decrease as it moves away from the surface.