1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electroweak theory books

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a good book in electroweak theory, possibly covering ew phase transition, ew baryogenesis as well?

Thank you!
    Michela

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums!

What is your background in math and physics?

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3

Haelfix

Science Advisor

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm an undergraduate in theoretical physics. I was maybe looking for a book "from a to z", that could be used as a reference book as well. I've done a course in particle physics though.

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

That's a big vague. Are you in your first year, last year, ...? Have you had QM, EM? What topics did you cover in the particle physics course? Which book did you use? Griffith's Intro to Elementary Particles would be a first step.

8. Jun 18, 2009 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Jun 19, 2009 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Wow! I did not know this was available online. It's a great book! (Probably too high-level for the OP, though; it assumes you already know quantum field theory.)

10. Jun 19, 2009 #9
    Sorry, you're right.. I'm almost graduating, so I've done QM and EM. For particle physics we used Griffiths, but I read also parts of Halzen & Martin's book.

11. Jun 19, 2009 #10

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then I would highly recommend the book on the weak interaction by Greiner.

12. Jun 20, 2009 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

does it contain the subject "EW baryogenesis"?

I've have been looking at his book, since it will soon come in a new edition. But I have also his QED book, and that is a relly disappointment, it is like a mixture of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory approach. It is full of insights and valuable derivations, but one always have the feeling that "this is not 100% the real deal".

13. Jun 20, 2009 #12
    Thank you guys for all the good suggestions you gave me! =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook