Books on the Standard Model of elementary particle physics & beyond

In summary, the course covered how weak interactions violate parity, introduced QCD, discussed flavor physics (CKM matrix, CP violation, …), and looked at neutrino physics (Majorana and Dirac masses, masses for neutrinos, see-saw mechanism, neutrino oscillations, …). Additionally, they looked at a lecture on CP violation that sounded interesting.
JD_PM
Hello!

I am taking a course on Electroweak & Strong Interactions (you could equally call it Standard Model I) and I find it absolutely fascinating! 😍

We studied how weak interactions violate parity, introduction to QCD, flavor physics (CKM matrix, CP violation, …) and neutrino physics (Majorana and Dirac masses, masses for neutrinos, see-saw mechanism, neutrino oscillations, …).

We have been following Mandl & Shaw, from [Link to potential copyright violation removed]

I am looking for more references (the more modern the better).

I found

• Quantum Field Theory and The Standard Model | Matthew Schwartz | 2014

• Introduction to Elementary Particles | D.J. Griffiths | 2008
Besides, I am also interested in finding a book that exposes the flaws of the Standard Model and makes a basic introduction on how these could be fixed. For instance (I have no knowledge on the following theories but read they are used to try to tackle the flaws): grand unified theories (GUT) and supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model).

What are your suggestions?

Thank you! 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
I am looking for more references (the more modern the better).

I found
  • Quantum Field Theory and The Standard Model | Matthew Schwartz | 2014
  • Introduction to Elementary Particles | D.J. Griffiths | 2008

There are many books that range from the level of Griffiths to the the level of Schwartz. A small, possibly non-representative, sampling follows.

At about the level of (but very different than) Schwartz is "From Classical to Quantum Fields" (2017) by Laurent Baulieu, John Iliopoulos, and Roland Seneor.

A fairly advanced reference is the second edition of "The Standard Model and Beyond" (2017) by Paul Langacker.

At the about level of Griffiths there are the excellent "Modern Particle Physics" (2013) by Mark Thomson, and the interesting "Advanced Concepts in Particle and Field Theory" (2015) by Tristan Hubsch. There also is "Elementary Particle Physics: An Intuitive Introduction" (2019) by Andrew Larkoski. which is designed to be accessible the third-year undergrads in the U.S. Larkosdi mentions some interesting advanced bits, but I sometime find his intuitive explanations hard to follow.

Likes JD_PM, vanhees71, Demystifier and 1 other person
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Standard Model of elementary particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It explains the interactions between these particles and how they give rise to the physical phenomena we observe.

2. What topics are typically covered in books on the Standard Model?

Books on the Standard Model usually cover topics such as the fundamental particles (quarks, leptons, and bosons), their properties and interactions, the Higgs mechanism, and the three fundamental forces (electromagnetism, strong, and weak). They may also delve into more advanced topics such as grand unification theories and supersymmetry.

3. Why is the Standard Model important?

The Standard Model is important because it provides a comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It has been extensively tested and has successfully predicted the outcomes of numerous experiments, making it one of the most successful theories in physics.

4. Are there any limitations to the Standard Model?

Yes, the Standard Model has some limitations. It does not include gravity, and it cannot explain certain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, it is not compatible with the theory of relativity, so it cannot fully describe the behavior of particles at high energies.

5. Are there any books that go beyond the Standard Model?

Yes, there are books that explore theories that go beyond the Standard Model, such as string theory, supersymmetry, and extra dimensions. These theories attempt to address the limitations of the Standard Model and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.