Elementary Algebra & Euclidean Geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to have a better understanding of the theoretical background of algebra, including theorems, proofs, and definitions. They mention wanting a book that covers these topics, and also question the use of field axioms in algebra. Additionally, they are seeking recommendations for books that cover these topics in depth.
Howers
I would say by now, I'm an expert in manipulating equations and playing with algebra. However, I've also realized I have no idea why some of the operations I do are valid. For example... why is (x+2)(x-2) = x^2 - 4? Why does this expansion work? I'm guessing it preserves some kind of field definition. And why do the exponent laws hold? Why must BEDMAS be preserved? Why is a negative times a positive a negative? Why can you multiply two equations?

These are all things I would like a firm theoretical grasp of. The problem is most of the algebra books and precalc books I've seen only emphasize memorization of the techiques, which is a skill I already have. I'd like theorems, proofs, and definitions of elementary math. The closest thing to such a book I've read is Courant's WIM, but even he already assumes you know a lot of this stuff, like exponents (which I do, but not why they work). Likewise, I'd like a firm grasp of Euclidean geometry for the mathematically mature.

Can anyone recommend titles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
These things follow from some axioms, in particular those of a field.
Choose different axioms and they will not follow.
So the question is really why adopt field axioms.
Because the system we are interested in follows them.

What is BEDMAS? Order of operations? It is simply an standard order so that the more common expression is shorter that the less commom one.
of expressions of the type
2?*?x?+?1
(2*x)+1
is more common than
2*(x+1)
so we let
2*x+1=(2*x)+1

Multiplication of two binomials is accomplished with the distributive property and this can be demonstrated graphically.

Note also, that the example which you presented will give a sum which contains two additive inverses of each other, therefore the two terms yield zero, giving you only two terms persisting in the simplified result.

Last edited:
I figured it was a field axiom that had to be preserved. But these are not the only questions I have. And its not sensible to post them all here. I'd like a book on this sort of stuff. Can anyone recommend one?

Or is this stuff I'd learn in number theory?

Last edited:
Howers: Most of what you ask is treated well in Introductory Algebra textbooks. You might be using an inferior textbook. Look for old used ones by authors such as Wright & New, Larson & Hostetler (& Edwards?), Lial & Miller, Drooyan, Barker (or Auffman & Barker).
Some Intermediate Algebra books also deal with the field axioms, but best first to check the Introductory books.

Many years ago, some(if not most) Algebra teachers would spend a couple of weeks instructing about the field axioms before moving into different kinds of expressions, equations, and other problem-solving. Instruction dealth with reference to the real-number line for explaining the concepts about number properties and properties of equality and inequality.

symbolipoint said:
Howers: Most of what you ask is treated well in Introductory Algebra textbooks. You might be using an inferior textbook. Look for old used ones by authors such as Wright & New, Larson & Hostetler (& Edwards?), Lial & Miller, Drooyan, Barker (or Auffman & Barker).
Some Intermediate Algebra books also deal with the field axioms, but best first to check the Introductory books.

Many years ago, some(if not most) Algebra teachers would spend a couple of weeks instructing about the field axioms before moving into different kinds of expressions, equations, and other problem-solving. Instruction dealth with reference to the real-number line for explaining the concepts about number properties and properties of equality and inequality.

Thanks. I've seen the field axioms for the first time in linear algebra, but never when deriving secondary school results. In high school all we ever did is examples.

I'll check out your list of introductory algebra books, but so far I'm having trouble finding most.

1. What is elementary algebra?

Elementary algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations to solve problems involving unknown quantities. It involves basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as the use of variables and equations to represent relationships between quantities.

2. What is Euclidean geometry?

Euclidean geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of points, lines, angles, and shapes in two and three dimensions. It is based on the principles and axioms developed by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid in his book "Elements".

3. What is the difference between algebra and geometry?

The main difference between algebra and geometry is that algebra deals with quantities and their relationships using symbols and equations, while geometry deals with the properties and relationships of geometric shapes and figures in space. Algebra is more abstract and algebraic expressions can be solved using algebraic operations, while geometry is more visual and relies on geometric principles and proofs.

4. How are algebra and geometry related?

Algebra and geometry are closely related as they both deal with concepts and relationships in mathematics. Algebraic equations can be used to represent geometric concepts and solve problems in geometry, while geometric figures can be used to illustrate algebraic concepts and equations. Many real-world problems involve both algebraic and geometric thinking.

5. What are some practical applications of elementary algebra and Euclidean geometry?

Elementary algebra and Euclidean geometry have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, physics, and computer science. They are used to solve problems involving measurements, shapes, and patterns, and are essential in building and designing structures and systems. They are also used in everyday life, such as calculating distances and areas, and in financial planning and budgeting.