(euclidean geometry) Euclid's elements proposition 13 book

In summary: Therefore, it is impossible for two circles to touch externally at more than one point. In summary, the proof shows that two circles cannot touch externally at more than one point, as stated in proposition III.13 of Book III of Euclid's Elements.
astrololo
"Then, since on the circumference of each of the circles ABDC and ACK two points A and C have been taken at random, the straight line joining the points falls within each circle, but it fell within the circle ABCD and outside ACK, which is absurd. Therefore a circle does not touch a circle externally at more points than"

There's only one little detail which I'm not sure of. We are trying to prove that circles which touch one another will only touch at one point. Fine. I understood the first part which treats of a circle in another one. It's only the case where one circle touches another one from the outside. By using proposition 2 of book 3, we prove that the line AC will be inside both of circles since the two points are on each circumference of the two circles. Now, this is where I get lost. We say that "but it (line AC) fell within the circle ABCD and outside ACK" and we prove this by using definition 3 of book 3 (Circles are said to touch one another which meet one another but do not cut one another.) In other words, this definition says that circles which touch another do not cut one another. In our situation, we have two circles which touch one another and are not supposed to cut one another. This is where I don't understand, how does this justify this : "but it fell within the circle ABCD and outside ACK." How do we get that conclusion from the definition?

Thank you!

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookIII/propIII13.html

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the assumption is that circle ACK touches circle ABCD at two points from the outside, A and C. This assumption is saying that there would be a segment AC that lies outside of ACK. This is the contradiction, since as you have already seen, AC must lie within ACK and ABCD.

1. What is Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 in Book I?

Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 in Book I is a geometric proof that states that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are equal.

2. What is the significance of Euclid's Elements Proposition 13?

Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 is significant because it is the first time that a geometric proof is presented in a systematic and logical way. It also serves as the basis for many other geometric proofs and theorems.

3. How does Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 relate to other propositions in Book I?

Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 is closely related to Propositions 5 and 6, which state that the angles opposite to equal sides of an isosceles triangle are also equal. These propositions, along with Proposition 13, form the foundation for the study of isosceles triangles in Book I of Euclid's Elements.

4. What is the proof for Euclid's Elements Proposition 13?

The proof for Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 involves using the construction of an equilateral triangle and the properties of parallel lines to show that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are equal. It is a rigorous and logical proof that follows the axioms and postulates established by Euclid.

5. What are some real-world applications of Euclid's Elements Proposition 13?

Euclid's Elements Proposition 13 has many applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to construct and analyze isosceles triangles, which are common in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures. Additionally, it is used in computer graphics algorithms to create and manipulate geometric shapes.