1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary - braking force of a trolley

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A trolley weighing 16 000kg is moving along a horizontal surface with a velocity od 6m/s. What braking force would cause it to brake on a distance of 10m and how long it would take?

2. Relevant equations

a = F/m = ΔV/t

3. The attempt at a solution

So ΔV = 6m/s, m=16 000kg, s = 10m and F = mΔV/Δt. We know neither F nor t so how could I solve this? It's just one equation but two unknown variables. Could you please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2
    Do you know the relationships between the work done by a force acting on a body and its energy?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    I know Newton's laws of motion, that's why I have the a=F/m, but what does that give me?

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a, acceleration, is constant, then v= at+ v0 and d= (1/2)at^2+ v0t.

You know that v0= 6 m/s and that d= 10m . Solve the quadratic equation (1/2)at^2+ 6t- 10= 0 for t, with parameter a. The final velocity was 0 so at+ 6= 0. Put the result you got for t into that and solve the resulting equation for a.

6. Oct 19, 2012 #5
    Rather have a look at the chapter on work and energy.

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6
    Do you know what the answer should be?

8. Oct 20, 2012 #7
    HallsofIvy - OK, thank you. So we get t = (2 (sqrt(5 a+9)-3))/a (the other one is negative so doesn't matter), we plug it into the latter and get (2 (sqrt(5 a+9)-3) so (sqrt(5 a+9)=3 but then... a would have to be 0, which it's not, is it? Where did I make a mistake?

9. Oct 20, 2012 #8
    Could someone please tell me where did I make a mistake? :(

10. Oct 21, 2012 #9
    No matter what I do to the expression, it never outputs anything other than 0 - why? Do I lack some variable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook