1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Number Theory: Wilson's Theorem

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    I am aiming to prove that p is the smallest prime that divides (p-1)!+1. I got the first part of the proof. It pretty much follows from Fermat's Little Theorem/ Wilson's Theorem, but I am stuck on how to prove that p is the smallest prime that divides (p-1)! +1. I am assuming that every other prime divisor of (p-1)!+1 is related to p by some congruence? Any ideas how to prove this tidbit? - Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    Let q < p be a prime. Now what can you say about the congruence [itex]\left(p-1\right)!\equiv -1\left(\rm{mod} q\right)[/itex]?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    If q< p then q does q no longer divides (p-1)!+1? If a prime is larger than p then does it also not divide (p-1)!+1?

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    You have proved that p is a divisor of (p-1)!+1. Now you want to prove that it is the smallest prime divisor of that quantity, so let's stick with a prime q < p. What does the congruence that I wrote in the first post reduces to?

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    so when you pair each term with an inverse everything equals out to one 1x1x(p-1) but when q<p all of these pairs of inverses don't cancel? are there still terms on one of the sides of the congruence?

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    If q < p, is q a factor of (p-1)!? If yes, what happens when you reduce mod q?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook