Elementary proof of fixed point theorem.

In summary, the attempted proof is flawed and does not follow elementary calculus principles. The logic and reasoning behind each line is incorrect, and the conclusion that f(x)=x is not supported by the given information. The student has requested that no other ways of proving the statement be suggested, so they will need to continue working on the proof themselves.
ArcanaNoir
I'd like someone to check this proof out for violations of math law. It seems like hackery to me, but then so does a lot of what my professor says, so maybe it's not. If it's flawed, just tell me why. Please don't suggest other ways to prove this, that's my job this weekend.

p.s. This is my first post using [itex] \LaTeX [/itex], since my discovery that it was there all along (used to see the raw text).

Homework Statement

[itex] f: [0,1] \to [0,1] [/itex] and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous [itex] \Rightarrow \exists x \in [0,1] : f(x)=x [/itex]

Homework Equations

Anything elementary calculus. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

let [itex] g(x)=x [/itex]
Then [itex] g(0) \le f(x) \le g(1) [/itex]
or, [itex] g(a) \le f(x) \le g(b) [/itex] where [itex] [a,b]=[0,1] [/itex]

[tex] \lim_{a\to x^-}{g(a)} = \lim_{b\to x^+}{g(b)} = x [/tex]
therefore
[tex] \lim_{x\to x}{f(x)} = x [/tex]

Since [itex] f(x) [/itex] takes on the same value as [itex] g(x) [/itex] at some point [itex] x [/itex], [itex] f(x)=g(x)=x [/itex] at this point.

So, for some [itex] x \in [0,1], f(x)=x [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:
I'd like someone to check this proof out for violations of math law. It seems like hackery to me, but then so does a lot of what my professor says, so maybe it's not. If it's flawed, just tell me why. Please don't suggest other ways to prove this, that's my job this weekend.

p.s. This is my first post using [itex] \LaTeX [/itex], since my discovery that it was there all along (used to see the raw text).

Homework Statement

[itex] f: [0,1] \to [0,1] [/itex] and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous [itex] \Rightarrow \exists x \in [0,1] : f(x)=x [/itex]

Homework Equations

Anything elementary calculus. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

This "proof" is flawed. Comments on each line below.

let [itex] g(x)=x [/itex]
Then [itex] g(0) \le f(x) \le g(1) [/itex]
No point renaming x to something else. This just says 0<f(x)<1
or, [itex] g(a) \le f(x) \le g(b) [/itex] where [itex] [a,b]=[0,1] [/itex]

And this just says the same thing.

[tex] \lim_{a\to x^-}{g(a)} = \lim_{b\to x^+}{g(b)} = x [/tex]
But a and b are constants. But anyway, x is presumably known to be continuous.

therefore
[tex] \lim_{x\to x}{f(x)} = x [/tex]
Strange way to write a limit and f(x) = x doesn't follow from anything you have done.
Since [itex] f(x) [/itex] takes on the same value as [itex] g(x) [/itex] at some point [itex] x [/itex], [itex] f(x)=g(x)=x [/itex] at this point.

So, for some [itex] x \in [0,1], f(x)=x [/itex]

You aren't close. You said no suggestions. Do you want a hint?

No thanks on the hint. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for the input :)

1. What is the fixed point theorem?

The fixed point theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that every continuous function from a closed interval to itself has at least one fixed point. A fixed point is a point in the interval where the output of the function is equal to the input.

2. What is an elementary proof of the fixed point theorem?

An elementary proof of the fixed point theorem is a proof that uses basic mathematical concepts and does not require advanced mathematical techniques or concepts. It is often used to provide a more intuitive understanding of the theorem.

3. How does the fixed point theorem relate to real-world applications?

The fixed point theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of economics and physics. It is used to prove the existence of equilibrium points in economic models and to analyze the behavior of dynamical systems in physics.

4. What are some limitations of the fixed point theorem?

One limitation of the fixed point theorem is that it only guarantees the existence of at least one fixed point, but it does not provide any information about the uniqueness or stability of the fixed point. Additionally, the theorem only applies to functions on closed intervals and may not hold for functions on other types of domains.

5. How is the fixed point theorem related to other mathematical concepts?

The fixed point theorem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Brouwer's fixed point theorem, which is a more general version of the theorem that applies to continuous functions on arbitrary convex sets. The Banach fixed point theorem is also closely related, which provides conditions for the existence and uniqueness of fixed points for certain types of functions.