Elevator decelerating down vs accelerating up

In summary: Otherwise, the downward acceleration would be negative, and the elevator would weigh more than it does when going up.
Ralph777
This is not an actual problem from my class. All our problems involved an elevator going upward (both accelerating and decelerating). But I am curious if an elevator cable would have the same FT if the elevator was decelerating downward at -3 m/s2 as it would accelerating upward at 3 m/s2 ? I am having a hard time conceptualizing why that is true in my mind's eye.

Homework Equations

Elevator Up: FT - mg = ma
so: FT = m (a + g)

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT< FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT > 0

I was curious what the values are when the elevator is going down.
I used this equation: mg - FT = ma
so: FT = m ( g - a )

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT> FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT< FG

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it true that an elevator cable would have the same FT if the elevator was decelerating downward at -3 m/s2 as it would accelerating upward at 3 m/s2 ? I am having a hard time conceptualizing why that is true in my mind's eye.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ralph777 said:
This is not an actual problem from my class. All our problems involved an elevator going upward (both accelerating and decelerating). But I am curious if an elevator cable would have the same FT if the elevator was decelerating downward at -3 m/s2 as it would accelerating upward at 3 m/s2 ? I am having a hard time conceptualizing why that is true in my mind's eye.

Homework Equations

Elevator Up: FT - mg = ma

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT< FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT > 0

I used this equation: mg - FT = ma

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT> FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT< FG

Is it true that an elevator cable would have the same FT if the elevator was decelerating downward at -3 m/s2 as it would accelerating upward at 3 m/s2 ? I am having a hard time conceptualizing why that is true in my mind's eye.

Thanks
you let the plus and minus sign sting you (it happens quite often)!
In your second set of equations for the downward acceleration, you assumed that the downward direction was positive (g is positive), and therefore, the downward acceleration is positive. Thus, FT is less than the elevator weight in this case, and greater than the elevator weight in the first case. Draw a sketch, and look at it over and over and over again, and don't let that minus sign bite you any more:mad:

Thanks for the help.

any advice or solution? showthread.php?t=612910

Ralph777 said:

Homework Equations

Elevator Up: FT - mg = ma Up positive

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT< FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT > 0

I used this equation: mg - FT = ma Down positive

so I figure that:
@ a<0 FT> FG
@ a=0 FT= FG
@ a>0 FT< FG

Thanks

If you want to compare, the convention of positive or negative direction must be consistent.

1. How does an elevator decelerating down differ from accelerating up?

When an elevator is decelerating down, it is slowing down its upward motion. This is commonly experienced when the elevator reaches its destination floor and prepares to stop. On the other hand, when an elevator is accelerating up, it is increasing its upward speed. This is typically felt when the elevator starts moving from a stationary position.

2. Why does an elevator decelerate down instead of just stopping abruptly?

An elevator decelerates down to reduce the impact of the sudden change in speed on the passengers. Abruptly stopping an elevator can cause discomfort, dizziness, and even injuries to the passengers. Decelerating down allows for a smoother and more comfortable ride.

3. Is there a difference in energy consumption between an elevator decelerating down and accelerating up?

Yes, there is a difference in energy consumption. When an elevator is decelerating down, it is using its motor to slow down the movement, which requires energy. On the other hand, when an elevator is accelerating up, it is using its motor to increase the speed, which also requires energy. However, the amount of energy used may vary depending on factors such as the weight of the elevator and the number of passengers.

4. How does the design of the elevator affect the deceleration and acceleration process?

The design of the elevator plays a crucial role in the deceleration and acceleration process. The speed at which the elevator can decelerate and accelerate is limited by the strength and size of its motor. The weight and number of passengers also affect how quickly the elevator can change its speed. Additionally, the shape and size of the elevator shaft can also impact the acceleration and deceleration process.

5. Is it safer to ride an elevator that decelerates down or accelerates up?

Both scenarios are safe as long as the elevator is properly maintained and functioning correctly. However, some people may feel more comfortable with one over the other. Decelerating down may be perceived as safer since it reduces the impact of the sudden change in speed on the passengers. But acceleration up is also safe as long as it is not too abrupt and the elevator is not overloaded. Ultimately, the safety of an elevator ride depends on various factors, not just the direction of deceleration or acceleration.