Calculating mass given maximum tension of a rope

In summary, the largest mass that could be lifted with a string that can handle a max tension of 85 N, with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2, and on the moon, is 24 kg. The calculation is done by using the equation Ft = m (a + g) and considering the forces of gravity and tension acting on the body.
RohanTalkad
If a string can handle a max tension of 85 N what is the largest mass that could be lifted with this string if it is lifted with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2 up on the moon?

Let up be positive in value.

Ft = - 85 N, a = 2.0 m/s^2, Fg = -1.6 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F = ma -> Fg = mg -> Ft = ma + mg -> Ft = m ( a + g) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I do the problem, I get a negative mass ...

Ft = m (a + g) -> -85 N = m ( 2 m/s^2 - 1.6 m/s^2 ) -> m = - 212.5 kg

Do you see the mistake? [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RohanTalkad said:
a + g
By what logic do you add these accelerations? Is it accelerating at rate a faster than gravity?
Draw a free body diagram. What are the forces acting on the body? What is the resulting acceleration?

haruspex said:
By what logic do you add these accelerations? Is it accelerating at rate a faster than gravity?
Draw a free body diagram. What are the forces acting on the body? What is the resulting acceleration?

Oh sorry. In the downward direction there is Fg and Ft.

Hm, I guess I added them because they were in two different directions (the lifting of the string was upward and the gravity as downward, but I realize that this is probably a mistake right?)

Oh, and by the way the orignal equation I did was Ft = mg + ma so that lead to Ft = m ( a + g)

RohanTalkad said:
Ft = mg + ma
I understand that seems intuitively right, but it fails when you plug in the signed values.
Remember, the basic equation is ##\Sigma F_i = ma##. Plug Ft and mg into that.

haruspex said:
I understand that seems intuitively right, but it fails when you plug in the signed values.
Remember, the basic equation is ##\Sigma F_i = ma##. Plug Ft and mg into that.

I will try to do what you said

∑F = Fg + Ft = ma

And Fg = mg

so (mg) + Ft = ma

m (-1.6 m/s^2) - 85 N = m (2 m/s^2)

-1.6 m - 85 = 2 m

m = 23.611111111 kg -> 24 kg

how does that look?

RohanTalkad said:
I will try to do what you said

∑F = Fg + Ft = ma

And Fg = mg

so (mg) + Ft = ma

m (-1.6 m/s^2) - 85 N = m (2 m/s^2)

-1.5 m - 85 = 2 m

m = 24.2857 kg -> 24 kg

how does that look?
You changed 1.6 to 1.5, but otherwise that looks right.

haruspex said:
You changed 1.6 to 1.5, but otherwise that looks right.

oooooh sorry :( but anyway thanks a million!

Related to Calculating mass given maximum tension of a rope

1. How do I calculate the mass of an object given the maximum tension of a rope it is attached to?

To calculate the mass of an object, you will need to know the maximum tension of the rope, as well as the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Then, use the formula M = T/g, where M is the mass, T is the maximum tension, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can I use this formula for any type of rope?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of rope as long as you have the maximum tension and know the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What units should I use for the maximum tension and mass in this calculation?

The maximum tension should be in Newtons (N) and the mass should be in kilograms (kg) to maintain consistency with the units of acceleration due to gravity (m/s^2).

4. Is there a limit to the maximum tension that can be used in this calculation?

No, there is no limit to the maximum tension that can be used in this calculation as long as it is measured in Newtons (N).

5. Can this formula be used for objects with irregular shapes?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects with irregular shapes as long as the maximum tension of the rope is known and the object's mass is concentrated at a single point.