Elevator going down; Main energy transformation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gravitational energy and kinetic energy. The question asks about the factors that determine kinetic energy and whether it can change to another form of energy. The participants consider the role of velocity and mass, and ultimately determine that the answer is D.
magiclink

Homework Statement

Hi! In the attachment :)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay! By looking at the question I would've intuitively guessed that the answer would've been perhaps A. gravitational energy→kinetic energy! But then I thought of the P=F*v formula. If the elevator is going down at a constant speed, then it's not given a lot of KE (i would think!) . And since it's going downwards, It's also losing potential energy. What I'm confused about then is where the energy goes. Does the elevator engine need to provide any power in going down? I would've thought gravity would do the work! Could anybody give me any useful leads/tips? I've found that the answer is D but am still kind of at a loss with this one. Thankyou in advance!

Attachments

• elevator.jpg
    elevator.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,357
Physics news on Phys.org
What does kinetic energy depend on? By that I mean, what determines kinetic energy? Because if what determines it doesn't change, then it cannot change.

Hmm. Velocity and mass. Which are cosntant...! So kinetic energy doesn't change to another form of energy, then?

1. What is the main energy transformation that occurs when an elevator goes down?

When an elevator goes down, the main energy transformation that occurs is the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. As the elevator descends, the potential energy stored in the elevator and its occupants is converted into kinetic energy, which causes the elevator to move downward.

2. How does gravity play a role in the energy transformation of an elevator going down?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the energy transformation of an elevator going down. Gravity is what creates the potential energy in the elevator and its occupants when they are at a higher level. As the elevator descends, gravity pulls it downward, converting this potential energy into kinetic energy.

3. What are the other forms of energy involved in the energy transformation of an elevator going down?

Aside from potential and kinetic energy, other forms of energy involved in the energy transformation of an elevator going down may include thermal energy and sound energy. Friction between the elevator and the shaft may also generate some heat energy.

4. Is there a difference in the energy transformation when an elevator goes down with and without occupants?

Yes, there is a difference in the energy transformation when an elevator goes down with and without occupants. When the elevator is empty, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a faster descent. However, when the elevator is occupied, some of the potential energy is converted into the kinetic energy of the occupants as well.

5. How does the energy transformation of an elevator going down affect its speed?

The energy transformation of an elevator going down directly affects its speed. As potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, the speed of the elevator increases. The more potential energy is converted, the faster the elevator will descend. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also influence the speed of the elevator.