1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator uniform speed problem

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At t = 0, an elevator departs from the ground with uniform speed. At time ##T_1## a child drops a marble through the floor.The marble falls with uniform acceleration g = 9.8 m/s^2, and hits the ground at time ##t = T_2##. Find the height of the elevator time ##T_1##.

2. Relevant equations
    SUVAT Equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation ##h = v_e T_1## and ##0 = h + v_e T_2 - \frac{1}{2} g T_2^2##, I was able to find the height in terms of ##T_1## and ##T_2##: ##\displaystyle h = \frac{g T_2^2}{2(1 + \frac{T_2}{T_1})}##

However, this gives the height in terms of ##T_1## and ##T_2##, but I need it in terms of ##T_1##. How should I go about doing that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2
    You need to find time t for the object to reach the ground after being dropped.
    t is just the difference between T1 and T2.

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3
    I'm not seeing how I would find t...

5. Sep 5, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

T1 and T2 are given: T1 is the instant of time when the child drops the marble and T2 is the time when it reaches the ground. The time of fall is T2-T1. You have to use the time of fall T2-T1 in the second equation.

6. Sep 5, 2016 #5
    So now I have ##\displaystyle h = \frac{gT_1(T_2- T_1)^2}{2T_2}##, but this doesn't seem to really get me anywhere...

7. Sep 5, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the solution. Both T1 and T2 are given data, and h is the elevator time at T1.

8. Sep 5, 2016 #7
    Ah! How did I miss that... Thanks!

9. Sep 5, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile:

10. Sep 8, 2016 #9
    s=ut+1/2at^2
    h=0+1/2*9.8*(T2-T1)^2
    initial velocity of the ball related to the elevator is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted