Eliminate friction for banking car

In summary, to eliminate the influence of friction on the car's tyres, the driver should make the turn at a speed of 12m/s. This can be found by using the equation tanX= v^2/r*g, where X is the angle of the banked corner (10°) and r is the radius of the corner (80m). The mass of the car does not need to be considered in this calculation.
lemon

Homework Statement

A corner on a road is banked at an angle of 10° to the horizontal. the radius of the corner is 80m. At what speed should a car make the turn if the driver wishes to eliminate the influence of friction on the car's tyres?

Homework Equations

F=mgsin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to consider the forces.
The normal contact force is acting upwards perpendicular to the road surface. Weight is acting downwards vertically. Frictional force is acting down the slope of the road. Centripetal force is acting inward horizontally.
F=mgsin(θ) = ? No mass
Simply confused :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Leave mass in terms of m, perhaps it will cancel out later?

Hello,

I am just, but a student and I think I have a possible solution...Might be wrong though.

F=m*g*sinX
tanX= v^2/r*g
tan10=v^2/800
tan10*v^2=800
v=12m/s

Freaction=80m/cos(80°)
=460.7N
Ffriction=80m/cos(10°)

Freaction+Ffriction[/SUB=541.9N
Freaction+Ffriction=mv2/r

I need to get rid of the mass in the above equation in order to equate for the velocity. No idea how to do that. Please help. Need to hand this project in 8 hours from now. Friday morning uk time. :cry:

F=ma

You are trying to find the optimal speed for making the turn without the force of friction. Therefore, this force does not need to be considered in your calculations. You are dealing with the force of gravity and the normal force only. There is centripetal force, of course, but this is equivalent to the sum of all forces in the x direction (because centripetal force is acting horizontally towards the center of the circle, like you said).

1. What is meant by "eliminate friction" in the context of banking cars?

Eliminating friction in banking cars refers to the process of reducing or removing any unnecessary barriers or obstacles that may hinder the smooth operation of banking car transactions. This could include streamlining processes, improving technology, and simplifying the overall user experience.

2. How can eliminating friction benefit the banking car industry?

Eliminating friction in banking cars can have several benefits for the industry. It can improve efficiency and speed of transactions, reduce costs, and increase customer satisfaction. It can also attract new customers and retain existing ones, ultimately leading to increased revenue for banks.

3. What are some common sources of friction in banking car transactions?

There are several sources of friction in banking car transactions, including lengthy and complex processes, outdated technology, lack of transparency, and security concerns. Other factors such as human error and inefficient communication can also contribute to friction in banking car transactions.

4. How can technology be used to eliminate friction in banking cars?

Technology plays a crucial role in eliminating friction in banking cars. For example, implementing biometric authentication methods can simplify the login process, while using blockchain technology can improve security and transparency. Automation and artificial intelligence can also streamline processes and reduce human error.

5. What steps can banks take to effectively eliminate friction in their services?

To effectively eliminate friction in banking car services, banks can conduct thorough audits of their current processes and identify areas for improvement. They can also invest in modern technology and collaborate with fintech companies to implement innovative solutions. Additionally, regularly seeking feedback from customers and making necessary changes based on their suggestions can also help eliminate friction in banking car services.