1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion with friction and banking - resultant forces

1. Jun 22, 2007 #1

exi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car travels 76 m/s around a circular track with a 111 m radius.

The car's mass is 2500 kg, the track is angled at 21°, and the coefficient of friction is 0.18.

What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the car and driver, expressed as kN?

3. The attempt at a solution

Double-checking my work here to see if I'm understanding this correctly.

If:
    Fk = µ*Fn
    Fn = mg/cosΘ
    Fc = mv²/r

Then:
    Fc = 130090.09 N
    Fk = 4723.75 N

Which leaves me with two questions: Is the above correct, and what am I leaving out of the forces before summing them?

editing this to add: I've gotten a series of formulas that produce the correct answer, but I do not know where they are derived from. If anyone could help explain this, I'd appreciate it.

1. [tex]A = \frac {m(v^2cos\theta - grsin\theta)}{r}[/tex]

2. [tex]B = \frac {mg + Asin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

3. [tex](\mbox{Answer expressed in kN}) = \frac {Acos\theta + Bsin\theta}{1000}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2007 #2
    You're going around your butt to get to your elbow. ;-)

If an object is moving in uniform circular motion, the NET force on that object must be equal to (mv^2)/r. You have this value recorded as Fc. You should note that Fc is NOT a single force, but rather is the NET force on the object in question.

The three formulas you've listed end up spitting out the exact same value as Fc, although in a very convoluted way.

4. Jun 23, 2007 #3

exi

Oh wow, you're right - what I did in the first 30 seconds answered the problem, but I didn't know I actually had the answer. I had to call someone in class with me who was given that formula system by a physics tutor.

That's... definitely something. :shy:

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    hallo exi may you explain the set of fomulas listed below the senteces in red...@all...i have a problem in calculatiion of forces in a free body diagram...any body who can help?

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    We have to start from a FBD.

Try to find the forces which act on the car.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?