Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminate Parameter with Sin and Cos

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    x = 2 − π cos t
    y = 2t − π sin t
    −π ≤ t < π
    I understand how to eliminate parameter using sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
    I cant figure out how to deal with the "2t" in the y equation, if you solve for sin(t) and square, you get
    ((2t-y)/π )^2 which leaves the parameter. Is there a way to get it into the argument of sin?
    I need this to then figure out intersection points and tangents later. Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will not be able to completely eliminate ##t##, but you can use these 2 equations to write a single equation that depends on ##x,y## and ##t## (but not ##\sin t,\cos t##). There is an interesting geometric interpretation of the equation that we can discuss after you try to find it.

4. May 1, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the help! I can't figure what that equation would be ( I can see one involving arccos and substitution but I think that would be a dead end.)
    I thought maybe finding the derivative dy/dx for the parametric eqn and realizing that at the point of intersection the 2 slopes would be dy/dx and -dy/dx might lead me closer?

5. May 1, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the derivatives might be of help later, but for now do something simpler. Rewrite the equations in the form

$$\begin{split}
    x -2 & = -\pi \cos t, \\
    y -2t & = -\pi \sin t\end{split}$$

and then square both and add them (you were close to this in your original attempt). Can you interpret the resulting quadratic equation?

6. May 1, 2015 #5
    (x-2)^2 = (pi^2)(cos^2(t))
    (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)(sin^2(t))
    added =
    (x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)(cos^2(t)) + (pi^2)(sin^2(t))
    (x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)[(cos^2(t)) + (sin^2(t))]
    (x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)
    [(x-2)^2]/(pi^2) + [(y-2t)^2]/(pi^2) = 1

It seems to look like an ellipse adjusted upwards by the parameter? I really appreciate the help!

7. May 1, 2015 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. To be precise, it's actually a circle with radius ##\pi##.

8. May 2, 2015 #7
    So it seems at this point to find where the graph would intersect itself, we would ask what value for t would give us 2 sets of identical x,y coordinates?

9. May 2, 2015 #8

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually you want to find values ##t_1## and ##t_2## for which ##( x(t_1),y(t_1))=( x(t_2),y(t_2))##. In this case there is only one pair of such ##t_1,t_2##, but in general there can be more.

Also, I should warn that the graph itself is not a circle, despite the appearance of that equation above.

10. May 2, 2015 #9

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook