Eliminating a variable from system of ODE's

In summary, the goal of this problem is to satisfy a given relation by differentiating and plugging in values from the original equations. This involves plugging an expression for h into the LHS of the dh/dt equation and differentiating it to get everything in terms of g and its derivatives. The final result should replace the left hand side of the dh/dt equation in the original system. The same process is also applied to the dg/dt equation.
gabriels-horn

Homework Statement

Project 1.jpg
The writing below the equation is the correct order of the constants directly above it.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
h=\frac{-g\prime-a_1g+E(t)}{a_2}
[/tex]

So I solved for h in the dg/dt equation, and plug this into the h in the dh/dt equation. My question is where do I go from here to satisfy the relation given in the problem above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gabriels-horn said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 25711 The writing below the equation is the correct order of the constants directly above it.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
[/tex]

So I solved for h in the dg/dt equation, and plug this into the h in the dh/dt equation. My question is where do I go from here to satisfy the relation given in the problem above.
Now you want to differentiate your expression for h and plug that result into the LHS of the dh/dt equation to get everything in terms of g and its derivatives.

vela said:
Now you want to differentiate your expression for h and plug that result into the LHS of the dh/dt equation to get everything in terms of g and its derivatives.

So [tex]
[/tex]

becomes

[tex]
h\prime=-g\prime\prime-g\prime+E\prime(t)
[/tex]

which replaces dh/dt in the original equation?

You made a few mistakes. What happened to a1 and a2?

vela said:
You made a few mistakes. What happened to a1 and a2?

sorry, still trying to get used to latex

[tex]h\prime=\frac{-g\prime\prime-a_1g\prime+E\prime(t)}{a_2}[/tex]

So this result replaces the left hand side of the dh/dt equation in the original system.

Also, dg/dt from the original equation [tex]dg/dt=-a_1g-a_2h+E(t)[/tex]
becomes

[tex]g\prime\prime=-a_1g\prime-a_2h\prime+E\prime[/tex]

and plug in dh/dt into this equation, making

[tex]g\prime\prime=-a_1g\prime-a_2(-a_3g+a_4h)+E\prime[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I eliminate a variable from a system of ODE's?

To eliminate a variable from a system of ODE's, you can use substitution or elimination methods. Substitution involves solving one equation for a variable and substituting it into the other equations. Elimination involves adding or subtracting equations to eliminate a variable.

2. What is the purpose of eliminating a variable from a system of ODE's?

Eliminating a variable from a system of ODE's can simplify the system and make it easier to solve. It can also help in finding a specific solution or determining the relationship between variables.

3. Can I eliminate more than one variable at a time?

Yes, you can eliminate multiple variables at a time from a system of ODE's. However, the complexity of the system may increase as more variables are eliminated.

4. Are there any limitations to eliminating a variable from a system of ODE's?

There may be cases where it is not possible to eliminate a variable from a system of ODE's, depending on the equations and variables involved. In such cases, alternative methods or approximations may be used.

5. Can I eliminate a variable from a non-linear system of ODE's?

Yes, you can eliminate a variable from a non-linear system of ODE's, but it may require more advanced techniques such as Taylor series expansion or numerical methods like Runge-Kutta. The resulting system may also become non-linear.