Elite program for dynamical systems? Mathwonk

In summary, the conversation discusses various graduate programs in mathematics with a focus on dynamical systems. Some recommended schools include Penn State, Cornell, Stony Brook, Boston University, Portland State University, University of Maryland at College Park, University of Washington, Caltech, and Princeton. The conversation also mentions the Snowbird conference and the application of dynamical systems in various fields such as air pollution.
JasonJo
Elite program for dynamical systems? **Mathwonk

Which school has an elite program for dynamical systems? I currently go to school in NY, and if possible, I would like to go to a grad school not in the Northeastern region.

If I had to guess I would say:
Penn State, Cornell, Stony Brook and Boston University since they all specific research groups dedicated to dynamics. But I checked UCLA, Berkeley and Stanford (three schools I was looking to attend possibly) and none of them seem to be extremely strong in dynamics. I also checked Harvard, only 1 senior faculty member is interested in dynamics. PSU, Cornell, SBU, BU are all on the east coast.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not totally sure if this will address your area of study; however, Portland State Univeristy (West Coast), has, what I hear at least, a very good system science's Ph.D program.

Heres the link: http://www.sysc.pdx.edu/" [Broken]

If you are referring to Dynamic Systems, as in mathematics soley, well I can't answer that. However, I would bet that the system science's program could accomidate the type of research you wish to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
oops, yeah i meant dynamical systems in the mathematical sense. I know NYU has an elite fluid dynamics program, but again, bleh Northeast :)

thanks though

What is wrong with the northeast?

its cold, and wet (although this year its been pretty warm)

verty said:
What is wrong with the northeast?

eh, I am just kinda tired of seeing the same things, the same weather, etc. i would like to see what else is in this country.

why did you put mathwonks name into the thread name.

come to california. UC system would welcome you with open arms (mmm maybe not but try anyways)

Because mathwonk is actually a mathematics professor and I hoped he could give his professional opinion on it. It's like basketball players, they can tell you who is really the best because they know the game better than non-ball players.

but what school in california has a strong dynamics program? I'm just looking to escape the cold Northeast.

Graduate programs strong in dynamical systems

JasonJo said:
Which school has an elite program for dynamical systems? I currently go to school in NY, and if possible, I would like to go to a grad school not in the Northeastern region.

I take it we are sticking to American graduate programs in mathematics? (So I can't mention Warwick?).

The University of Maryland at College Park is very strong for dynamical systems, especially symbolic dynamics (roughly the study of shift spaces, the most abstract kind of dynamical system) which based upon the rigorous foundation of ergodic theory, as well so called "applied chaos theory", which tends to be at the opposite end of the spectrum (hopefully I won't step on any toes by saying that!). If you are also interested in information theory, symbolic theory should interest you, but shift spaces appear everywhere in dynamics, for example in the Mandlebrot set and in Penrose tilings. (Years ago, SUNY Stony Brook was strong in complex analytic dynamical systems--- I am not sure if that is still the case.) My alma mater, the University of Washington (in Seattle), is also quite strong in symbolic dynamics.

The DC area tends to have mild winter weather. Seattle has severe winter weather (windstorms, flooding) in years when an El Nino phenomenon occurs, but otherwise has mild winter weather compared with say New York City or Boston or Chicago.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
im sorry i thought your title meant **** you, mathwonk!

har har. anyway when iwas AT UNC chapel hill, they had a good guy in dynamical systems named sheldon ... glashow??

oops, it was sheldon newhouse.

newhouse seems to be at michigan state now.

mathwonk said:
im sorry i thought your title meant **** you, mathwonk!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dynamical systems is a branch of chaos theory isn't it?

After poking around a bit I found out that Cal-Tech has a program called CDS, which to me appeared to be heavily focused on Dynamic Systems.

Just throwing it out there.

^_^physicist said:
After poking around a bit I found out that Cal-Tech has a program called CDS, which to me appeared to be heavily focused on Dynamic Systems.

Just throwing it out there.

wow I actually completely forgot about Caltech, I guess because it's such a small school. Yeah thanks, it seems like they have an active dynamics group over there. And clearly Caltech is part of the upper echelon in that California ring of grad schools: Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Caltech and then the other UC's

You might not want to stay around there, but Guckenheimer's group at Cornell is very good: http://www.cam.cornell.edu/

Also, like you mention, they do good bio stuff at BU: http://math.bu.edu/research/dynamics/faculty.html

Philip Holmes at Princeton: http://mae.princeton.edu/research/e48/dynamics_control_sys.html?PHPSESSID=71828ebe92379f569f626aeee99c2cb7 [Broken]

Yorke's group at Maryland: http://www.glue.umd.edu/~yorke/

To get more of a flavour check out the invited speakers at Snowbird this year: http://www.siam.org/meetings/ds07/invited.php - biggest and best (biannual) dynamical systems conference.

ps: you should check out Europe too :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ki Man said:
dynamical systems is a branch of chaos theory isn't it?
Other way round :tongue:

whoops :blushing:

where can you apply dynamical systems

Ki Man said:
where can you apply dynamical systems
Again, you need to move that around.

Where can't you apply "dynamical systems" :smile:

I see your point. hmmmm... possibly in studying air pollution? the only things i can think of arent physics/math related

Ki Man said:
I see your point. hmmmm... possibly in studying air pollution? the only things i can think of arent physics/math related
Air pollution?

Fluid dynamics -> pdes -> dynamical systems :smile:

1. What is the Elite program for dynamical systems?

The Elite program for dynamical systems is an advanced academic program designed for students interested in the mathematical study of dynamical systems. It is offered by Mathwonk, a prestigious organization known for its expertise in mathematics education.

2. Who is eligible for the Elite program for dynamical systems?

The Elite program is open to highly motivated and talented students from around the world who have a strong background in mathematics and a passion for studying dynamical systems. Students must also meet the specific eligibility requirements set by Mathwonk.

3. What topics are covered in the Elite program for dynamical systems?

The program covers a wide range of topics related to dynamical systems, including chaos theory, bifurcations, network dynamics, and applications in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics. Students will also have the opportunity to work on their own research projects under the guidance of experienced mentors.

4. How long is the Elite program for dynamical systems?

The program typically lasts for one academic year, with the possibility of extension for students who wish to continue their research projects. However, the exact duration may vary depending on individual progress and goals.

5. How can I apply for the Elite program for dynamical systems?

Interested students can apply for the program through Mathwonk's website or through their university's mathematics department. The application process usually involves submitting academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Admission is highly competitive and based on academic excellence and potential in the field of dynamical systems.