Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM Field strength and plane waves

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    Hi !

I've a question. Where is the connection between the (kinetic) Lagrangian [tex] - \dfrac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} [/tex] and a plane wave of the form [tex] \vec{\varepsilon} exp(i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{V} [/tex] (the epsilon is a polarization vector) confined in a box with a finite volume V ? I should somehow "motivate" the factor [tex] - \dfrac{1}{4} [/tex] occuring in the Lagrangian by such plane waves. But I absolutely dont't have a clue how to do that. Does anyone have an idea? I hope somebody could help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    Blegh. It's a helluva long road. Quickest thing to do is to fix a gauge like the Lorenz gauge, and then find out what the Hamiltonian is. The factor of -1/4 will give you a canonical Hamiltonian that is something like [tex]\int\!dx\, \left(\frac{1}{2} \mathbf{E}^2 + \frac{1}{2}|\boldsymbol\nabla \mathbf{A}|^2\right)[/tex] where [tex]E \sim \dot{A}[/tex]. The Laplacian is a vector Laplacian, in case you're wondering. I have also dropped factors of c and [tex]\epsilon_0[/tex], since I can work in units in which they are 1.

Ok, where were we? You can fourier expand your vector potential as follows:
    [tex]\mathbf{A} = \sum_\lambda \int\!\frac{dk}{(2\pi)^3} a_\lambda(\mathbf{k}) \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\lambda)e^{i \mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{x} }[/tex],
    where the polarization vectors are chosen such that the gauge fixing condition is satisfied (i.e., only two transverse polarizations). If you're doing this inside a box, it's a plain fourier series, instead of an integral. If you write your Hamiltonian in terms of these, you'll obtain something like
    [tex]H = \int\!dk\, \left(\frac{1}{2} p_\lambda^2 + \frac{1}{2} k^2 a_\lambda^2\right)[/tex],
    where [tex]p[/tex] is the momentum conjugate to [tex]a[/tex] i.e., in the Lagrangian terminology, [tex]p = \dot{a}[/tex]. Now you get a bunch of simple harmonic oscillators.

The factors of two are just convention, really, and keep the equations nice. The original factor of 4 comes about because when you obtain the Euler Lagrange equations, you take a derivative of a square. So to "motivate" all this, you could say that each plane wave is a separate harmonic oscillator. But you'll have to do some math =)

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    Thank you! But is it somehow possible to explain the 1/4 factor by considering the dimensions?

I've seen something like [tex] \left[ F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} \right] = 4 [/tex], but I don't really understand why it is equal to 4.
    But if one use this, isn't it possible to somehow justify the 1/4 factor? I need a simple explanation without (much) calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook