Emag - Having trouble following an example

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the author is explaining how vacuum-tube diodes work and how current flows between the cathode and the anode. The author is having trouble understanding a few steps and would appreciate any help he can get.
FrogPad
I'm having trouble following an example in the book. I don't understand a few steps which I have marked in bold. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

Q: In vacuum-tube diodes, electrons are emitted from a hot cathode at zero potential and collected by an anode maintained at a potential [itex] V_0 [/itex], resulting in a convection current flow. Assuming that the cathode and the anode are parallel conducting plates and that hte electrons leave the cathode with a zero initial velocity (spache-charge limited condition), find the relation between teh current density [itex] \vec C [/itex] and [itex] V_0 [/itex].

A:
Neglecting fringing effects we have,
[tex] \vec E(0) = \vec a_y E_y(0) = -\vec a_y \frac{dV(y=0)}{dy} = 0[/tex]

In the steady state the current density is constant, independent of y:
[tex] \vec J = -\vec a_y J = \vec a_y \rho(y) u(y) [/tex]
where the charge density [itex] \rho (y) [/itex] is a negative quanitity. The velocity [itex] \vec u = \vec a_y u(y) [/itex] is related to the electric field intensity [itex] \vec E(y) = \vec a_y E(y) [/itex] by Newton's law of motion:
[tex] m \vec{d u(y)}{dt} = -eE(y) = e \vec{dV(y)}{dy} [/tex], where [itex] m [/itex] and [itex] e [/itex] are the mass and charge respectively of an electron. Noting that:

This is where I am confused. I am not noting anything =)

[tex] m \frac{du}{dt} = m \frac{du}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt} = mu \frac{du}{dy} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} mu^2 \right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} m u^2 \right) = e \frac{dV}{dy} [/tex]

I don't understand:
[tex] m \frac{du}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt} \rightarrow mu \frac{du}{dy} [/tex]
[tex] mu \frac{du}{dy} \rightarrow \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} mu^2 \right) [/tex]

and last but not least...
[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} m u^2 \right) \rightarrow e \frac{dV}{dy} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This [itex]\vec{a_y}[/itex] business is very confusing. Apparently, [itex]\vec{a_y}[/itex] is just a unit vector in the y direction. There's a symbol for that, it's [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] or [itex]\hat{y}[/itex].

For your first source of confusion:

According to the equations of kinematics,

[tex]u(t)=at[/itex]
[tex]y(t)=\frac{a}{2}t^2[/tex]

So if you want to write u as a function of y only, it will look like

[tex]u(y)=\sqrt{2ay}[/tex]

Now,

[tex]\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{du}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{du}{dy}\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{a}{2}t^2)=\frac{du}{dy}at=\frac{du}{dy}u[/tex]For the second:

[tex] u \frac{du}{dy} = \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} u^2 \right) [/tex]

Just differentiate the RHS to see that it is true.Third confusion:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}mu^2[/itex] is the kinetic energy of an electron. And by conservation of energy, we must have

[tex]\frac{dK}{dy}=-\frac{dU}{dy}[/tex]

where U is the potential energy of the electron. But for a charge q, U(y) is also qV(y). Here, q=-e, hence U(y)=-eV(y) and we have

[tex]\frac{dK}{dy}=e\frac{dV}{dy}[/tex]

This is what

[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \left( \frac{1}{2} m u^2 \right) = e \frac{dV}{dy} [/tex]

is expressing.

ahhhhhhh... I feel like slapping myself ;)

I haven't seen those kinematic equations in awhile, hehe.

Well this question was an awesome review.

quasar987 I can't thank you enough. You are always a huge help!

1. What is Emag and why is it used?

Emag is short for electromagnetic, and it refers to the study and manipulation of electromagnetic fields. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications to understand and control the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. What does it mean to have trouble following an example in Emag?

Having trouble following an example in Emag means that someone is having difficulty understanding or replicating a particular example or problem in the study of electromagnetic fields. This could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying principles or difficulty in applying the concepts to a specific problem.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Emag examples?

One way to improve understanding of Emag examples is to review the fundamental principles and equations involved in the problem. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and work through each step carefully. Seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also aid in better understanding of Emag examples.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with Emag examples?

Some common mistakes when working with Emag examples include not fully understanding the equations and principles involved, skipping important steps in the problem-solving process, and not checking the final solution for accuracy. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How can I prepare for working with Emag examples?

To prepare for working with Emag examples, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles and equations involved. It can also be helpful to practice solving similar problems and to review notes and lectures related to the topic. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and physics can aid in understanding and solving Emag examples.