Email professors for graduate school?

In summary, it is perfectly acceptable to email professors when applying for graduate school to inquire about research opportunities. However, it is important to be polite and not spam them. It is also important to realize that the admission process is not solely dependent on the professor's decision to take on a student. Asking specific questions about their research can lead to a more meaningful conversation.
spacelike
Hello,

I am beginning to apply for graduate schools. Normally I wouldn't have thought to email the professors I am interested in working with on research.
However, I heard from a professor that when they were applying to graduate schools they were only accepted to those programs that they had directly contacted individual professors.

So, now I am wondering if this is normal or acceptable to do? I don't want to come across bad to those professors, and I already tried emailing one of them, it didn't go as I expected.
In the email I simply stated that I would be applying to that school and that I was interested in the research that professor was doing and asked if they were looking for new students to join the research in the 2012 fall semester and that I would be interested in hearing more about this professors current work.

However, the response I got was that the professor said the process is intricate, requires approval from more than one member and that he would forward my email to the graduate chair who would be able to "answer more precise questions about our admission
process."

He did state that he looks forward to reviewing my application...

So I don't know if emailing him directly made me sound incompetent of the application process.. Or motivated..

Can anyone offer some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's perfectly acceptable to email a professor to ask about graduate student research opportunities within his or her group. So long as you're polite and don't spam them with dozens of emails, you won't leave a bad impression.

After all, in graduate school you'll be spending several years of your life on your project. It's well worth taking the time to talk to the people you're considering working with so you can make an appropriate decision.

That being said, if you ask whether or not a professor can take you on as a student, he or she will likely respond as this professor did because the admission process is not a case of the professor saying 'yes I'll take you on.' Rather, you're accepted by the department and then you get to pick a supervisor.

spacelike said:
However, I heard from a professor that when they were applying to graduate schools they were only accepted to those programs that they had directly contacted individual professors.

Something that you have to realize is that in the "pre-web, pre-email" days, it was a lot harder to contact a professor from a school than it is not. In 1985, if you got one handwritten letter asking for information, it's a lot different than today when you get fifty e-mail. Also, pre-web, it wasn't that incredibly easy to get information about which professors were working at which schools and what their research was.

One question that you have to ask yourself is "what will this look like if everyone does it?"

So I don't know if emailing him directly made me sound incompetent of the application process.. Or motivated..

My guess is that he is sending out the same form e-mail he sends to the fifty other people that are e-mailing him.

I have found one trick in getting a useful reply from a professor. Professors tend to like to talk about their research, so if you ask them a specific question about their research which shows that you spend a lot of time and effort thinking about the topic, you are likely to be able to get the professor into a conversation.

Dear [Name],

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns about emailing professors for graduate school. It is completely normal and acceptable to contact professors you are interested in working with for research during the graduate school application process. In fact, it can be a beneficial step as it shows your interest and motivation in their research and can potentially strengthen your application.

However, it is important to approach these emails in a professional and respectful manner. It seems like you did just that in your email to the professor, so please do not worry about coming across as incompetent. The response you received may have simply been the professor's way of informing you about the process and directing you to the appropriate person to answer your questions.

My advice would be to continue reaching out to professors you are interested in and asking about their research and potential opportunities for graduate students. Just make sure to be respectful of their time and understand that they may not always be able to respond immediately or in great detail.

Wishing you all the best in your graduate school applications.

Sincerely,

1. How do I find the email address of a professor at a graduate school?

To find the email address of a professor at a graduate school, you can start by searching the school's website or department directory. You can also try searching for the professor's name on a search engine or professional networking site like LinkedIn.

2. Is it appropriate to email multiple professors at once for graduate school?

It is generally not recommended to email multiple professors at once for graduate school. It is better to do some research and select a few professors whose research aligns with your interests and goals. Sending a personalized email to each of them will show your genuine interest and increase your chances of getting a response.

3. What should I include in my email to a professor for graduate school?

In your email to a professor for graduate school, you should introduce yourself, explain why you are interested in their research, and describe how your background and experience align with their work. You should also attach your resume and any relevant documents, such as transcripts or writing samples.

4. How soon should I expect a response after emailing a professor for graduate school?

The response time can vary depending on the professor's schedule and workload. It is recommended to send your email at least 2-3 weeks before the application deadline to allow enough time for a response. If you haven't received a response after a couple of weeks, you can send a polite follow-up email.

5. Should I follow up with a professor if I don't receive a response to my initial email?

It is acceptable to follow up with a professor if you don't receive a response to your initial email. However, make sure to give them enough time to respond before sending a follow-up email. Keep your follow-up email brief, polite, and reiterate your interest in their research and graduate program.