How/What should I ask professors at grad schools I'm checking out

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of emailing professors for graduate program applications. The main points discussed are the importance of doing research on the professor's work before contacting them, the potential benefits and drawbacks of contacting professors, and tips for effective communication such as being straightforward and honest, mentioning preparations and contributions, and asking for information that cannot be found elsewhere. It is advised to carefully consider whether contacting professors is necessary and helpful for the specific graduate programs being applied to.
badinthelatin
I've narrowed down a short list of a dozen or so graduate programs it looks like I'd like to apply to. I've heard that it helps to email professors involved in the work I'm interested in, but I'm doing the socially-awkward-penguin and am kinda at a loss for what to say or how to go about saying it.

Obviously asking people about their research is a good idea, but I'm finding that either departments just list a bunch of people in a theory group without any personal pages/info or when they do list individual research it's usually pretty straightforward. Either I already feel very comfortable with the concepts in a certain area and what the work entails or it's a pretty deep product of QFT/mathematical physics that I'm not yet fully qualified to say I understand.

Any advice on how to email professors to introduce oneself, get good information or anything else I should be conveying/asking?

Physics news on Phys.org
You clearly did some research to narrow down your choices, that at the very least shows intent. I would just be straight forward, and tell them why you are contacting them. If you cannot find information on their research, ask them if they can help you locate a website or journal where their work is published and/or available. They can't expect you to just know everything about their work when contacting them. I think courtesy and honesty goes a long way, but that's just my opinion.

I'm mixed on whether or not contacting professors helps... it depends on the program and the processes of admission, and in programs where where such communication helps, the possibility of it hurting also exists. So first of all try to figure out if the programs you are interested in are the former or the latter. At the university where I was involved in admissions (which was a top 20-25-ranked university, although whether that matters is left to your opinion), contacting professors didn't help. They let the committee do the work of sorting out the best candidates with a wide pool of interests, then later let those admitted students come to them (during both visits to the campus before their acceptance of an offer, or after they had accepted the offer and arrived).

But if a program you are interested in is the latter, I personally think you'd better really do your homework before you contact the professor (so your contact doesn't hurt your prospects). Make sure you look at their websites (if they have them) and state that (so they don't just link you to those). It should also be easy to find some publications of the research work that is being done (either by lists of their websites or by looking up the researcher on something like http://prola.aps.org/" and chances are your undergraduate university has subscriptions so you can get the articles. At least get an idea of the purpose of the current research, make sure you can talk about that at least a little (and how it matches your interests for possible graduate work)... and maybe ask what direction the professor sees the current research taking in the next several years (since that's when you'll be working with the group). Also perhaps note your preparation... have you done any REU's or research on a related topic? What was your contribution? Do you feel you could quickly ramp up and be an active participant?

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to what PhysicsGirlPhD said, if you are emailing professors to improve your chances to get in, don't. The odds of it backfiring are much higher than the odds of it working. I would only email a professor if you need information that cannot be obtained any other way - e.g. "are you accepting students?"

I understand the importance of reaching out to potential advisors during the graduate school application process. Here are some tips for how to approach and communicate with professors at the graduate programs you are considering:

1. Introduce yourself and your interests: Start by introducing yourself and briefly mentioning your academic background and research interests. This will give the professor some context and help them understand why you are reaching out to them specifically.

2. Be specific about your interests: When discussing your research interests, be as specific as possible. This will help the professor understand what you are interested in and whether their research aligns with your interests. You can also mention any relevant coursework or experience you have in the field.

3. Ask about their research: As you mentioned, asking about a professor's research is a good idea. However, instead of just asking for general information, try to ask specific questions about their recent publications or ongoing projects. This will show that you have done your research and are genuinely interested in their work.

4. Inquire about potential opportunities: You can also ask about potential opportunities to work with the professor, such as a research assistantship or a thesis project. This will show your enthusiasm and motivation to be a part of their research team.

5. Be professional and respectful: Remember to always be professional and respectful in your communication. Address the professor by their proper title and use formal language. Avoid using slang or informal language.

6. Follow up: If you don't hear back from a professor, don't be discouraged. Professors are busy and may not always have the time to respond to every email. It is okay to send a follow-up email after a week or two, but be polite and understanding if they are unable to respond.

Overall, the key is to be genuine, specific, and professional in your communication with professors. By showing your interest and enthusiasm for their research, you are more likely to make a positive impression and potentially secure a spot in their graduate program. Good luck with your applications!

1. How do I approach a professor at a grad school I am interested in?

When approaching a professor at a grad school, it is important to be professional and respectful. Start by introducing yourself and explaining your interest in their research or program. Be prepared to ask specific questions about their work and how it aligns with your own research interests. It is also helpful to have a copy of your resume or CV on hand to provide to the professor.

2. What questions should I ask a professor at a grad school?

Some questions you may want to ask a professor at a grad school include: what research opportunities are available for graduate students, what is the mentorship style of the program, how do students typically fund their studies, and what is the culture like within the department. It is also important to ask any specific questions you have about the professor's research and how it relates to your own interests.

3. How can I prepare for a meeting with a professor at a grad school?

Before meeting with a professor at a grad school, do some research on their work and the program. This will help you have a better understanding of their research interests and how it aligns with your own. It is also helpful to prepare a list of questions to ask the professor and to have a copy of your resume or CV on hand.

4. Is it appropriate to ask a professor about their funding and grants?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask a professor about their funding and grants. This information can give you a better understanding of the resources and opportunities available to graduate students in the program. However, it is important to approach this topic respectfully and not to focus solely on funding as the main reason for your interest in the program.

5. How can I make a good impression when meeting with a professor at a grad school?

To make a good impression when meeting with a professor at a grad school, it is important to be professional, prepared, and engaged. Dress appropriately and arrive on time for the meeting. Show genuine interest in the professor's work and ask thoughtful questions. It is also important to be respectful and courteous throughout the conversation.