Embarrasing, but I with this.

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
In summary, if you're trying to factor a polynomial and the coefficient in front of the a term is negative, you need to keep the sign in front.
Lancelot59
I've forgotten how to factor quadratics.

Not all of them mind. I've just forgotten how to deal with these sorts:

-x2+4x-3

for example.

I forget how to deal with the negative coefficient in front of a.
I just fell out of doing this stuff and forgot over time.

Physics news on Phys.org
for ax^2 + bx + c = 0;

solutions are = -b +/- sqrt (b^2 - 4ac ) /2a

You could factor out the negative
-(x2 - 4x + 3)
and factor what's in the parentheses, or look at the factors of -1 and -3 and find two pairs that add up to 4.

Well I remember the quadratic formula. I also remember being taught a manual method of solving these, like seeing what factors of c add to get b. I just forget how to handle negative coefficients on the a term using that method.

EDIT: Your post just slipped in right before I hit post on this. I'll give it a try.

Ok, so do I just ignore the negative that I factored out entirely? I guess I could since the roots would still be the same...

Last edited:
Ok, so do I just ignore the negative that I factored out entirely? I guess I could since the roots would still be the same...

If the polynomial is set equal to zero, then sure, you just ignore the negative. It's like multiplying both sides of the equation by -1.

If it's not set equal to zero... well, I'm not sure what you'd be trying to do :-/ If you're just trying to factor the polynomial (e.g. if a problem says "factor this polynomial"), you do need to keep the negative sign. You could either keep the sign out in front, or after you've factored the polynomial without the sign, just absorb the sign into one of the factors. So for example:
[tex]\begin{align*}-x^2 + 3x - 2 \\
-(x^2 -3x + 2) \\
-(x-2)(x-1)\end{align*}[/tex]
That would be the answer if you just leave the sign out in front, or if you prefer to absorb it back in, either
[tex](-x+2)(x-1)[/tex]
or
[tex](x-2)(-x+1)[/tex]

Alright, thanks for the help guys!

1. What is the most common cause of feeling embarrassed?

The most common cause of feeling embarrassed is when we believe that we have done something socially unacceptable or have not met our own expectations. It can also be triggered by the fear of being judged or humiliated by others.

2. How can I deal with feeling embarrassed?

The best way to deal with feeling embarrassed is to acknowledge and accept the feeling. Understand that it is a natural human emotion and it is okay to feel embarrassed at times. Taking deep breaths, practicing self-compassion, and reminding yourself that everyone makes mistakes can also help in coping with embarrassment.

3. Why do we tend to blush when we are embarrassed?

Blushing is a physiological response to embarrassment that occurs due to the release of adrenaline. This hormone causes the blood vessels in our face to dilate, resulting in a red or flushed appearance. It is an automatic response that we have little control over.

4. Can feeling embarrassed be a good thing?

Yes, feeling embarrassed can be a good thing as it can serve as a signal for us to reflect on our actions and behavior. It can also help us learn from our mistakes and improve ourselves. Additionally, it can show that we have a sense of empathy and concern for others' opinions.

5. How can I prevent feeling embarrassed in the future?

While it is not possible to completely prevent feeling embarrassed, there are some steps you can take to lessen its impact. This includes practicing self-awareness, setting realistic expectations for yourself, and learning to laugh at yourself. It can also be helpful to surround yourself with supportive and understanding people who will not judge you for your mistakes.