1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring a four term polynomial

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just want to know how get from ##4x^3+3x^2-6x-5=0 ##
    to ##(x+1)^2(4x-5)=0##. What's the trick when dealing with these nasty polynomials? I got the answer by taking another approach (solving a root equation) but I noted this is also a way to go, but I can't figure out the method

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I can't seem to get anywhere. The assignement is solved and correct, but I would like to learn how to make the factoring that out! =)

Edit: corrected accidental + instead of - in the last factor.
    Edit 2: bad reception on smartphone didn't save the first correction. Now it should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

There must be some typos. Where do you get the negative signs from when multiplying ##(x+1)^2(4x+5)\,##?

In general, you have basically two possibilities: you can look up the formulas to solve for ##4x^3 + \ldots = 0## which are a bit nasty, or, which is more promising in such designed cases, guess some roots. That is, if ##4a^3 + \ldots = 0## for some number ##a##, then ##(x-a) \,\vert \, (4x^3 + \ldots )## and you can perform a long division and solve for the remaining polynomial ##4x^2 + \ldots = 0##. To guess zeros, you can simply try low numbers as ##\{-2,-1,0,1,2\}## or you can look at the absolute term: ##4x^3 + \ldots - 5 = 4(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) = 0## shows that ##abc= 5## and you can try some divisors of ##5##.

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps it should be ##\ 4x^3+3x^2-6x-5=0 \,.##

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We get it, it's something like that except the opposite plus an accidental - instead of + in the second term.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    Yes, that's correct! (On mobile unit with bad reception). Edited it now! :)

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    Yes! Two sign errors I'm afraid! Edited now. Oh okay, so if I guess a root and divide the polynomial with that factor (x-a) I'd be done? :) The factor theorem, right? (Still on mobile, gonna try this when I get home!)

8. Feb 8, 2017 #7

fresh_42

Yes. ##-1## as a root can easily be checked. Then you can calculate ##(4x^3+3x^2−6x−5):(x+1)## and get a quadratic polynomial for which you probably know the formulas to find the remaining zeroes (Vieta's formulas). Otherwise you can also repeat the process and in this case with ##-1## again. You have to divide by ##x+1 = x-(-1)## here, in general by ##x-a## if ##a## is a zero.

9. Feb 8, 2017 #8

Mark44

For your polynomial ##4x^3 + 3x^2 - 6x - 5##, the Rational Root Theorem can be used to determine whether there are factors of the form (x - p/q). This theorem says that any such roots p/q are such that p divides the constant (-5) and q divides the coefficient of the highest degree term (4). So the possibilities are ##\pm 1, \pm, 1/2, \pm 1/4, \pm 5, \pm 5/2, \pm 5/4##. In all there are 12 possible rational roots. The easiest way to check each of them is by using Synthetic Division.

Edit: Added my missing LaTeX end tag.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  10. Feb 8, 2017 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do it in an intuitive way:smile:
    ##4x^3+3x^2-6x-5=3x^3+3x^2+x^3-x-5x-5=3x^2(x+1)+x(x-1)(x+1)-5(x+1)=(x+1)(4x^2-x-5)##

11. Feb 8, 2017 #10

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still simpler than the methods suggested is simpe substitution of a likely looking root. In theexamples gi , -4 +3 -6 ven at your level roots are ften simple small integers. Look at x = 1 for instance the polynomial would be 4 + 3 - 6 - 5 ≠ 0, so not that, now try x = -1, -4 +3 +6 -5 = 0, yes -1 is a root, and (x + 1) is a factor, divide by (x + 1)...

Also if the factors are simple rationals, I mean of form (Ax + B) with A, B integers, then the number of possibles to look at is limited, e.g. here the first term in that case must have come from
    (4x +...)(x +...)(x +...) or (2x +...)(2x +..)(x +...)
    and the last term from (... + 5)(.. + 1)(... -1) or (...- 5)(.. + 1)(... -1) or (... - 5)(.. - 1)(... -1),.

(You only need tconsider the sign possibilities for one of these tw ,terms OK? :oldsmile: )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  12. Feb 10, 2017 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\pm 1, \pm, 1/2, \pm 1/4, \pm 5, \pm 5/2, \pm 5/4##

13. Feb 10, 2017 #12

Mark44

Thanks! I didn't notice that I had neglected to add the closing tag. I have fixed it in my earlier post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted