Difference of two squares under a radical

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an equation involving the quadratic formula and finding a solution for x. The conversation also discusses the concept of imaginary numbers and the possibility of a mistake in the original solution.
mototsykl
This may seem elementary, but it's been awhile since I've done heavy algebra work.

I used the quadratic formula to get this equation:

[itex]\mu = (\pm \sqrt{1 - 8x^{2}} - 1)/2[/itex]

and I'm trying to simplify to:

[itex]\mu = (\sqrt{1 + 8x^{2}} - 1)/2[/itex]

If anyone could just point me to any resources that could give me the answer, or let me know of some obscure algebraic property I've forgotten, that'd be great!

I'm pretty sure you can't distribute negatives into a square root, but x | x > 1.00, so any value of x would give a negative answer under the radical, and I'm left with an imaginary number.

I also tried breaking down the difference of two squares into its factors, but that only works when I add another factor to compensate for 8, and makes it more messy than before.Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the [itex]x[/itex] in both expressions is the same, then the two are equal if and only if:
[tex]
\mu = \frac{\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} - 1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{1 + 8 x^{2}} - 1}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} - 1 = \sqrt{1 + 8 x^{2}} - 1
[/tex]

[tex]
\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} = \sqrt{1 + 8 x^{2}}
[/tex]

Up to this point all the transformations were equivalent. Now, we want to get rid of the root and we square the two sides. This may generate more solutions than the original equation had and we have to verify if each solution that we got satisfies the original equation:
[tex]
1 - 8 x^{2} = 1 + 8 x^{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
16 x^{2} = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
x^{2} = 0 \Leftrightarrow x = 0
[/tex]
This solution satisfies the original equation only in the case where the l.h.s. has the + sign!

Notice that we only get a particular value for [itex]x[/itex] for which we can equate the two expressions. Thus, it is not an equality. I would say you either made an algebraic mistake in getting your original solution or the "new x" is related to the "old x" via (let's call the new x to be y):
[tex]
\mu = \frac{\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} - 1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{1 + 8 y^{2}} - 1}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} - 1 = \sqrt{1 + 8 y^{2}} - 1
[/tex]

[tex]
\pm \sqrt{1 - 8 x^{2}} = \sqrt{1 + 8 y^{2}}
[/tex]

Squaring:
[tex]
1 - 8 x^{2} = 1 + 8 y^{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
x^{2} + y^{2} = 0
[/tex]

In the set of real numbers, this relation has only a trivial solution [itex](x, y) = (0, 0)[/itex]. In the set of complex number it implies:
[tex]
y = \pm i \, x
[/tex]
and the equality holds only in the case of the "+" sign.

1. What is the formula for finding the difference of two squares under a radical?

The formula for finding the difference of two squares under a radical is (√a - √b)(√a + √b) = a - b. This can also be written as (√a)^2 - (√b)^2 = a - b.

2. Can the difference of two squares under a radical be simplified?

Yes, the difference of two squares under a radical can be simplified by using the formula (√a - √b)(√a + √b) = a - b. This will result in a simplified expression without a radical.

3. How do I solve a problem with the difference of two squares under a radical?

To solve a problem with the difference of two squares under a radical, first identify the two numbers being subtracted from each other. Then, use the formula (√a - √b)(√a + √b) = a - b to simplify the expression. Finally, solve for the remaining variables using basic algebraic principles.

4. Can the difference of two squares under a radical be negative?

Yes, the difference of two squares under a radical can be negative. This will occur when the two numbers being subtracted are negative or when the larger number is being subtracted from the smaller number.

5. How is the difference of two squares under a radical related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This is similar to the formula for the difference of two squares under a radical, where (√a)^2 + (√b)^2 = a + b. This relationship can be used to solve problems involving right triangles and the difference of two squares under a radical.