Emeril Lagasse leaves Food Network

In summary, the conversation was about different cooking shows on various networks, including the Food Network and the Travel Channel. The participants discussed their likes and dislikes for different chefs and shows, such as Emeril Lagasse, Paula Deen, and Iron Chef. Some expressed frustration with the staged nature of certain cooking shows and the lack of authenticity. One person even mentioned their own cooking skills and how they could outperform some of the chefs on TV. Ultimately, it was agreed that the Travel Channel had better cooking shows than the Food Network.
Evo said:
Symons has failed to impress me so far. Maybe some kind of personality will emerge on this show.

I did catch the first episode of Michael Symons Dinner Impossible. And I was left thinking he likely makes a better seu-chef than a chef.

The mugging it up and renting the hokey boardwalk bikes and running around semi out of control seemed contrived, not that contrived is not apparently part of the game plan already even with Robert Irvine. After all if it were easy it wouldn't meet the title of the show.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I shake my head reading the descriptions of these shows. At our last place, the Food Channel was bundled with basic cable, over on the "Amen Corner" part of the dial. Aside from Good Eats, I couldn't stand the shows, especially Bobby Flay's stuff. At least you can get some good ideas from Alton Brown. Watching his show one day, I watched him use a piece of stone tile to crush peeled cloves of garlic, and suddenly the polished cylindrical agate paperweight my friend gave me years before had a new job. Our kitchen is small and simple, so tools have to multi-task.

Lagasse leaving the Food Network is probably one of the best things that could have happened to that channel. His histrionics were painful to watch. Martha Stewart will be leading him around by the short hairs, now. She bought the rights to his entire business apart from the restaurants, including his appearance schedule, his cookbooks, and the line of cookware that is sold under his name. $50M and he sold his soul.

turbo-1 said:
$50M and he sold his soul.

I have to wonder about health issues. I just saw him on a cooking green show and he looked bloated and less agile than on his FN shows.

He probably can't sell the restaurants anyway because of the investors and I can imagine MSL wouldn't want to get into that part of the food business.

Maybe he is just cashing in while he's still around to realize the value and not selling his soul?

LowlyPion said:
I have to wonder about health issues. I just saw him on a cooking green show and he looked bloated and less agile than on his FN shows.

He probably can't sell the restaurants anyway because of the investors and I can imagine MSL wouldn't want to get into that part of the food business.

Maybe he is just cashing in while he's still around to realize the value and not selling his soul?
Selling now is a smart move before his popularity tanks. And if his health is faling, makes all the more sense.

Heck, If I had a soul, I'd sell it for $50 million.

BTW, his "Vodka Sauce" for pasta is not bad. I can't find my favorite brand anymore,and his is ok, and they've just dropped the price. Not that he has anything to do with actually making it, but it's worth the $3.50 for a large jar for a different sauce. I tried making it at home, but by the time I drank all the vodka, I couldn't taste the sauce anymore.

Evo said:
They need to cancel the "Next Food Network Star" that's currently on, I can't imagine any of three remaining contestants having a show. I know Zz said he had to stop watching it.

I caught that for the first time yesterday. It was laughable, as the judges basically are letting them all go to the final round because they couldn't decide which was the worst to throw one off...they had major problems with all three and joked that they should have one do the introduction/narrating, one create the recipes, and one do the actual cooking. :rolleyes:

How many shows do they promise as a prize? Sounds like the winner will get the minimum and be cancelled.

Moonbear said:
How many shows do they promise as a prize? Sounds like the winner will get the minimum and be cancelled.

Maybe they will cancel the contest first and do us all a favor.

~christina~ said:
Whhhhyyyy?!
evo said:
I also enjoyed "Dinner: Impossible" with Robert Irvine, who has just been fired for lying on his resume. Who cares? His show was fun and he was a great cook. Now they've got that new Iron Chef guy in his place and I can't imagine how that is going to be. I think the first episode will be tonight.

I liked his shows the best out of all of the shows on food network, before I had to cancel cable.)
He's back on.. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Irvine" , last November, the food channel announced they have rehired him for six new episodes of Dinner: Impossible, which will began airing in March 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
He's back on.. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Irvine" , last November, the food channel announced they have rehired him for six new episodes of Dinner: Impossible, which will began airing in March 2009.
Oh good, Michael Symon is too wimpy for the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Oh good, Michael Symon is too wimpy for the show.

whoohoo! and I have to agree with you.